Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gents - could you guys recommend a seat with good lateral support to include at the shoulders? i was looking at the Recaro SRD (they are the seats in the USDM Evo Lancer, for example), but its a bit expensive for me. i still have to get the harness (and i need some suggestions for these too).


thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,274 Posts
Not too many options if you have the seat airbags, if any at all. As far as harnesses go, I have the Schroth clip-in/clip-out model (which is DOT-approved) so that I can use the regular seat belts for the street.




Basically, there's debate over which is safer -- the ability to move out of the way of the roof in the event of a rollover (despite the safety cages, the roof will cave in a little, and the harness will not let you get out of the way, so your spine will most likely compress in a rollover if you're wearing a harness :eek: ), or your ability to control your car better because you're more tightly belted in with a harness. I only use the harness for track days.

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
pancreas said:
The Passat is a fat pig, not very good for racing.
I wouldn't go making such a blanket statement. The previous owner of my car autocrossed it and placed very high (2nd through 5th) in the Street Modified class, along with modified WRX's, Camaros, etc.

The car has KW Variant 2's, O-Bars Rear Sway, Brembo slotted rotors and Mintex RedBox pads on all 4 corners, AWE K04 Kit, FMIC and 2.5" Turbo-back exhaust. It can hang with the best of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,051 Posts
VaRiX said:
pancreas said:
The Passat is a fat pig, not very good for racing.
I wouldn't go making such a blanket statement. The previous owner of my car autocrossed it and placed very high (2nd through 5th) in the Street Modified class, along with modified WRX's, Camaros, etc.

The car has KW Variant 2's, O-Bars Rear Sway, Brembo slotted rotors and Mintex RedBox pads on all 4 corners, AWE K04 Kit, FMIC and 2.5" Turbo-back exhaust. It can hang with the best of them.
Its just the heavy weight that hurts the passat (over 3200 lbs) then add in a driver (200 lbs) that brings it close to 3400 lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,274 Posts
Try over 3700 lbs with my 4MOTION. :shock: (3500+ lbs curb weight, and I'm 180 lbs.) Then again, just about nothing beats it in the rain...I was passing E30 M3's, C5 'Vettes and NSX's at Watkins Glen last May in the pouring rain. :D The only cars passing me were WRX's and S4's, and that's because they had more horsepower... :cry:

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by racing, you mean going fast in straight lines? i dont need a race seat for that. nor would i want a passat for that. but if anyone out there might understand why i would want a more supportive seat, please feel free to respond.

thanks for the posts so far. the SRD Recaro reclines and has a steel shell. like i said its a bit pricey for me, but if there arent any substitutes that have good kidney and sholder support, recline, and cost less than 400, i guess there isnt much choice.

anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VaRiX -
The car has KW Variant 2's, O-Bars Rear Sway, Brembo slotted rotors and Mintex RedBox pads on all 4 corners, AWE K04 Kit, FMIC and 2.5" Turbo-back exhaust. It can hang with the best of them.

How do you like your KWv2? what can you adjust on your suspension? do you have any of the various braces out there to stiffen up the chassis? im looking at getting a seat because i'm sliding around a bit too much (and thats just with the 1be springs and a 28mm bar) and im considering the KW2.
 

·
PassatWorld Staff
Joined
·
12,267 Posts
Hmmm. I could recommend a helluva seat, but it doesn't recline. Reclining seats are not usually called "racing" seats.

Check out last month's issue of Eurotuner (or was it European Car?) They had a "seat buying guide" that may help you decide. Should be available online.

Also, check out subesports.com - they sell Cobra and Sparco. Cobra is an excellent seat. I was in their neighborhood (on a business trip) last November, and sat in every seat in their showrooom. The clear winner was the Cobra Suzuka and Imola II - the Suzuka was a teeny bit better but it's a rally seat and had really high side bolsters that would make ingress/egress difficult. So I picked the Imola II. I have the seat and brackets, waiting for the sliding rails before I can install it (yes, "it" - I can only afford one for now).

Imola II: http://www.subesports.com/products/?cartID=20040331093810209.203.83.157&cat=Seating&brand=Cobra&prodID=656
Suzuka: http://www.subesports.com/products/?cartID=20040331093810209.203.83.157&cat=Seating&brand=Cobra&prodID=650

The Imola II is $529 for the "GT" width necessary for my 6'2" frame. Standard width costs $489. Side brackets are $125, sliding brackets are another $125. This is a fixed-back carbon-fiber racing seat, it only weighs 16 lbs (the stock seat weighs around 50 lbs). It is extremely comfortable and supportive, and I am very sure it will be comfortable even on long trips. Friends who have sat in it have also remarked how comfotable it is. There is nothing more comfortable and supportive than a properly fitted racing seat. I imagine that Tim's Sparcos pictured above would be perfectly comfortable on a long trip if your anatomy fit the seat.

So the total price per seat is $529 + $250 = $779. This sounds steep, but lemme tell ya - this seat holds me so well that I won't need a harness, so that saves $200 or so. With this seat, I will be in full control on a road course using the stock seatbelts.

I can't wait to get my seat installed. The sliding bracket should be here this week. I'll post pics as soon as I get it done.

And yes, I won't have side airbags or a seat heater. Neither of which I care about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Not too many options if you have the seat airbags, if any at all. As far as harnesses go, I have the Schroth clip-in/clip-out model (which is DOT-approved) so that I can use the regular seat belts for the street.

Basically, there's debate over which is safer -- the ability to move out of the way of the roof in the event of a rollover (despite the safety cages, the roof will cave in a little, and the harness will not let you get out of the way, so your spine will most likely compress in a rollover if you're wearing a harness :eek: ), or your ability to control your car better because you're more tightly belted in with a harness. I only use the harness for track days.

Andy
........And Andy would know!!!! The Passat is a big fat pig, but dang she did pretty good on the track last year :p
 

·
PassatWorld Staff
Joined
·
12,267 Posts
Cadet X, you should see if you can get leave and go to Watkins Glen with Andy and Justin this year. I went last year - it was awesome! I stopped by West Point to show my sons my old campus, and was dismayed that the gates were closed except for official tours... I was a plebe in '76, would have been class of '80 but I decided the Army career was not for me. I was in "F-troop" - F-3. It sure was a great year. BTW that was the first year they admitted women to the Academy. Hey - do they still do the "Rocket" cheer? It's about the only one I remember.

Last May, Watkins Glen tried to throw me out of my seat so bad that I made a promise not to come back until I had a proper seat. Well, I can''t afford to come back this year 'cause I spent my money on the SEAT!?!?!. Ahhh, but there's next year, and I'll be ready! Will you still be at Woo Poo U next year?

Here's a tip to help the OEM seats hold you better - back the lumbar support all the way off. This helps you settle into the seat better. You don't need lumbar support during the brief stints on the track, and you'll appreciate the extra holding ability of the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,274 Posts
Rusty said:
Cadet X, you should see if you can get leave and go to Watkins Glen with Andy and Justin this year. I went last year - it was awesome!
Unfortunately, between my car not being track-ready (thanks to an accident) and me not having enough time, Watkins Glen is not on my "to do" list this year. :cry:

Rusty said:
I stopped by West Point to show my sons my old campus, and was dismayed that the gates were closed except for official tours... I was a plebe in '76, would have been class of '80 but I decided the Army career was not for me. I was in "F-troop" - F-3. It sure was a great year.
I didn't know that. My Guard unit is based over at Camp Smith -- just across the river from West Point. :) And I go to the West Point PX for uniform stuff all the time now...

Rusty said:
Here's a tip to help the OEM seats hold you better - back the lumbar support all the way off. This helps you settle into the seat better. You don't need lumbar support during the brief stints on the track, and you'll appreciate the extra holding ability of the seat.
Cool, I'll have to try that if/when I make it to the track next...

Andy
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top