Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a 99 AEB tip that has been "out of commission" for the better part of a year now. My job at the time required a round-trip daily commute of 140 miles, and the car just couldn't take the usage. The turbo went at ~140,000 miles, which I fixed, and then in the same month the torque converter, ABS module, and oil pump had failed to certain degrees.

The torque converter probably wouldn't be that hard to fix, but I don't have the space to take the thing apart. The same goes for the oil pump; I have the pump, but no space/tools to drop the subframe. ABS module is an annoyance, but liveable. Basically this car needs a ton of labor.

Anyway, while I have considered fixing it, the car has sat for almost a year and I have not found the time/space/tools/money/parts to accomplish this. As I now have a new job that is both much closer to home and much better paying, the time has come to *sob* be done with the Passat and move on to something (or somethings :thumbup: ) else.

I'm really not sure what I should do with it, so I'm here looking for suggestions. Should I sell to a junkyard? Post it for sale around here? Part it out? Cosmetically the car is in pretty good shape, black magic with gray cloth, but mechanically is just piss-poor. Parting out might be difficult, as lack of space and tools becomes an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bryan

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
sorry to hear about all your problems. if you want the most money, part it out, but be prepared to spend a lot of time parting it out. otherwise, junk yard would be a good option, but don't expect that much for it. if it still drives, i'd try to sell it to a used car lot. just be up front with them about the issues, and see what they'll give ya for it.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
parting it out is very time consuming between replying to emails, remiving the parts, and shipping them.

What is it worth to you moneywise?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Christian P said:
Donate it to a cancer foundation, it's tax deductable and they arrange pick up.
A good idea, then you can claim a tax deduction on what they sell it for at auction (Could be next to nothing) or the full market value if they decide to use the car themselves. (Could be more than chump change)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i highly doubt they're gonna use the car themselves with that many problems. still, you can check with them an find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts