Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I finally decided to replace an aging Black & Decker cordless drill last night :) We set off to the local Home Depot to look at the selection and man is it overwhelming! The salesman recommended the Makita 6095 which has two NiMH batteries and a accessory flashlight. That was around $100.

Some of the drills went all the way up to $400. Being somewhat of a novice at this, I need a recommendation foa an all purpose houshold cordless drill. What else should I be looking at in terms of spes, etc? Someone told me the higher the voltage the more torque you will get. How much torque do I really need? Thanks folks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Definitely go 18.8v. It's bulkier, but way more oomph and longer lasting batteries.
My wife bought me a similar set to the one in your pic (Makita) at Costco - drill, circular saw and flashlight with 2 NiMH batteries and charger about 2 years ago, and it's all still working great!

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah...i saw the 18.8 models.......they start at like $200! Yikes!!! :eek:h:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sears, I just got an 18.8 drill flashlight combo with 2 batteries for $80 I think. I don't think Craftsman is the same quality as say a Dewalt, but for the amount I use it, it works great and the price was right.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
14.4 is the best compromise of price and performance right now.
The makitas are nice, but awkward due to design.
My pick for light/powerful/inexpensive/easy on batteries: Ryobi. I picked upp the 4 pc combo two years ago, and have built decks, kitchens, etc with it.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I've talked to my wee brother about this before. He's a time-served joiner.

Black and Decker owns DeWalt. The drills are very similar in construction except DeWalt uses metal cogs and other motor parts whereas B&D uses nylon. The DW is a professional-class drill which should last a long, long time. Ideal if you're using it a lot or for heavy projects.

18.8 is the best bet for power, but 14.4 is a good compromise.

What about getting a hammer drill? :lol:

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice, folks....i picked up the 18.0 Sears Craftsmans Cordless Drill/Flastlight/2 Battery combo for $70 on sale this week. It is usually $90-100.

Looks like the ceiling fans are going up thiss weekend!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I second the vote for the Sears model. Very nice. I had an older Makita before and love the Sears model. You can catch them on sale regularly.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Makita or DeWalt (in that order) if you're serious, or Ryobi and Craftsman if you're less so and don't plan to make the tool an important item to you.

My 9.6 volt Makita I use day in, day out at work over and over and over again is about 10 times the drill my 18 volt Ryobi was. The Ryobi was really really tired at about 4 or 5 months old. My current Makita is as strong as it was when I bought it a year and a half ago.

I'll never buy a clunky-assed 18 volt anything again.

The smaller voltage GOOD drills charge their second battery fast enough that you don't need the extra voltage or runtime of the cheapies.

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used the Sears 18.0V I bought yesterday to put up two ceiling fans today, and man is this sucker heavy as a Lincoln! I think I'm going to take your advice, Sharky, and look at the 9.6 Makita again. I don't like that the Sears models are using NiCad batteries as opposed to the NiMH batteries that Makita uses. I figure if need a more powerful drill I'll get a corded one to complement the everday light one.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Fookie, the 9.6 and 12 volt Makitas are definately worth a look. Also, remember that while you can still get the old long handle style in the picture, they have more compact, shorter handled ones also (commonly called "T Handle") It is all a matter of taste.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Def. go with sharky's advice on that, and get a good corded drill when you have heavier jobs in the plans later on. I've been using a 12 volt t-handel skil for the last 3 years and am fairly happy with it. My corded dewalt does all of the real work though, like boring countless holes through joists for new wiring.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I can vouch for the RYOBI, that I bought at HD about 3 years ago, came with to batteries and have done just about everything with it, I do fences, decks and many other work on the side and have use this drill without any problems. I HIGHLY recomend looking at these. I have the 14.4 and am happy, but definately look at a 18v, and are very affordable($100)

they also have many other attachments.

Oh and they have a magnet at the battery for your screws that is very usefull

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ryobiCDL1802D.htm

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm going off to Sears fo lunch today and trading in the 18.0V Craftsman for the Makita (is $90 a fair price?).....I'll let you all know hoe the new drill goes! Thanks for your help. Looks like we have responses all across the gamut.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You guys are missing the boat on some good tools from RIGID at Home Depot. The RIGID line of power tools are extremely comparable to the Makita and DeWalt tools and have a better warranty. I storngly suggest taking a closer look at them. Great tools, reasonable price. The 12 V cordless drill is a great tool for about $125 with a lifetime service warranty including batteries.

Carl III

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Have you taken a look at the Hitachi models? I have a Hitachi 12V that has served me well the last couple of months. At $69 the 12V for me was plenty for around the house stuff.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
ckatkinson said:
You guys are missing the boat on some good tools from RIGID at Home Depot. The RIGID line of power tools are extremely comparable to the Makita and DeWalt tools and have a better warranty. I storngly suggest taking a closer look at them. Great tools, reasonable price. The 12 V cordless drill is a great tool for about $125 with a lifetime service warranty including batteries.

Carl III

Just an update - The Rigid tools are great, but the lifetime warranty offer ended on 12/31/03. :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts