Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story short, a few winters ago I slid my Passat (2003 1.8T wagon) into the metal bumper of a small truck. Since then I’ve (very slowly) been replacing broken parts, as well as stuff I might as well replace since I’m in there.

Current problem: while cleaning the engine block side of the oil filler bracket’s gasket mating surface, I sprayed gasket cleaner onto the oil dipstick guide tube (black metal lower tube). Now my paint is sad…from what I read on other posts, that thing is NOT meant to come out, and I’d rather not futz with it, if I can help it.

SO: how the hell should I go about repainting it? Should I just cover everything around it and try to paint it in place? Cover it with electrical tape and hope for the best? Ignore it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I would guess this is a cosmetic concern since I can't see corrosion being an issue with that part. That said, I would try a short piece of black heat shrink tubing. It would cover the bare metal, be the right color and possibly look like it belongs there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts