Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let my preface by stating I know little to nothing about mechanics, but am learning! I recently purchased this in January knowing it needed work and finally have some funds to put into the car.
My last big project is to replace the exhaust. The last person who owned the car thought it'd be a good idea to chop off the muffler. The pipes are decently rusted, so it was suggested to replace the whole exhaust.

Luckily, I have someone who will put it on for me if I provide all the necessary parts. Here's where I need the help. If I need a whole new exhaust system, what are the best sites to obtain them and what all do I need?
Considering I have a turbo charged engine, doesn't the lack of a muffler significantly impact my performance? Also, will I need to do anything special to re calibrate the O2 sensors?

Sorry for all the questions as I'm a total newbie, but I really enjoy my Passat and want to give her the attention she deserves!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I searched and found a good stainless steel system from Techtonic for $660.
My question now is if it's even worth it. The kid who had it before me cut it off before the muffler. However, the pipes looked a little rusted anyways. Should I just save the money and get a muffler and tailpipes put on and replace the exhaust down the road? Thanks for any advice.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
I love my turbo back TT exhaust....purchased from germanautoparts.com.....fantastic site and customer service.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Scott, which exhaust system do you have? I had at one point contemplated going through GAP, but decided to leave it alone for now. You have the downward turned tips?

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,312 Posts
^ I have the straight tube, no tip. I figured at some point I'd throw a tip on the end, but never got around to it. Polished up it really doesn't need one, to be honest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts