Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a list of maintenance items to change/service on a 99 B5 auto wagon, if it's been garaged and not driven for 2 years? Car has been in garage at altitude no moisture enviroment. Fuel preserver was added to a quarter tank of fuel and run for 15 mins, battery disconnected but that's it before i locked the garage up.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,180 Posts
A list? No. But based on my experience after resurrecting a long idle (probably three years) Audi way back when, I'd count on replacing all the fluids, (including the ATF and especially the brake fluid) the battery, and most of the rubber bits (especially the tires and belts).

If it hasn't been run, I'd squirt a little light oil in each cylinder before doing so, possibly turn the engine by hand once or twice. Draining the fuel tank would be good, but it's not all that convenient.

RE: Tires and belts. On the Audi, they looked OK, but in the first hard run two tires fell apart - and the serpentine belt.

After that, see how it goes. I'm sure a few other detail will rear their little heads.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The things I would do and this is just me and just a suggestion
ALL fluids tranny, coolant, oil, brakes, ps etc

Check/ replace ANY brittle cracked vac lines

Brakes lines

Fuel lines

Any bad fuses

Windshield wipers

And possibly brake pads

Mine sat for almost 2 years given I lost the damn key but she's all up n good now good luck

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,711 Posts
change the oil and coolant before starting it, and i would do the ATF as well stagnent fluids collect moisture. then vacuum lines, serp belt, possible new battery, tires, drain the fuel and add fresh, change the fuel filter.

i got a jetta running that had been sitting for 5 years, only driven once on year 3 for 10 miles then the tranny blew. once it was going it ran for 6k miles and the motor blew but that was from a spun rod bearing that was noticed on initial startup so it was a previous engine injury.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts