Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5,100 miles into my first synthetic oil's life, I've decided it's had its time. I figure a good 10% of it was actually old dino from the previous change, so...

How much oil did I manage to suck out with my virgin MityVac? 2.75 L, or 2.9 qts, plus let's say 0.5 qt from the OE filter. I twisted and pushed that damn tube as much as I could, and all I got from doing that were two kinks in the tube :mad: So all in all I got 3.4 quarts out, then replaced the OE filter with the Big Kahuna and was able to pre-fill almost one whole quart into the filter and added 3 quarts to the engine... which ended up being just a little too much. Again: :mad: :mad: So I guess I managed to get about 0.5-0.6 quarts more capacity, up to around 4.3 oil sump now. Does this sound about right with the Big Kahuna?

To finish my story, as I'm dispensing the old vacuumed oil into the empty oil bottles to be recycled, I notice that there's about a half-cup of black oil that leaked through the MityVac's hose connection at the top and ran all down its side. :mad: :mad: :mad: Am I not connecting the hoses correctly? WTF?!

Do you guys rinse or wash the MityVac or its tubes after each use? Will the leftover oil sludge up and clog the tubes over time?

And I noticed for the first time that the OE filter says it has a 30,000 km lifetime on it. What's everyone's take on that labeling?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Sounds like there's a little still in there. There's always some spillage when removing the filter and uncertainty over how much oil is still stuck in the filter, so perhaps the better question is: How much oil did you manage to put back in?

To get the maximum amount of oil out, I find it helps, first of all, to push the tube in not much farther than the length of the dipstick. You might want to hold the dipstick against the tube and mark off a similar length of tube with a pen. Push the tube in until your pen mark is positioned at the top of the dipstick tube. When the extractor starts to suck air, just nudge the tube in slightly further, or, back it out, and pump a few extra times. I make these small adjustments probably a half dozen times before the pan is dry.

I hang the tubes up and let them drain out over time. Even if you don't do that, I wouldn't worry. Another thing you can do is pump up the extractor with your thumb over the end of the tube, then lift your thumb off a few times. The sudden rushing in of air as you lift your thumb off will more or less clean out the tubes.

Sometimes the tubes just become disconnected, so maybe you just need to exercise some extra caution there.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Gnosis: Oil pouring out the top of MityVac... you didn't have the hose pushed all the way into the joint. I did that the 1st time too. You put it in and twist while pushing until it really seats, then it'll seal just fine.

Get a gallon of Purple Power cleaner/degreaser. Mix it 50/50 w/water and pour 1/2 cup in a container, then evac it through your tubes. Next suck up about a cup of water to rinse them. Remove the tubes and shoot some water through them now and hang to dry. Shake the degreaser and water mixture in the MityVac around to cleanse. Pour out into your recycle container. Pour some water back in and slosh around again and pour out. If you want it spotless clean you have to take the top off and wipe, but for regular use the above is just fine. Oh, and remember to leave the seal plug out, not in, so it doesn't "remember" the squished position and get stuck.

On oil extraction, Rechtsfahren has it right. I push it in until I meet the 1st resistance and evac that, then push it ever so slightly until I meet resistance again and evac and that's about all the oil that is in the pan. I can evac and replace the filter and put the new oil in, in around 10 mins now. Add 5 mins for cleanup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.