Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i own a 03 passat gls.
I can't afford to buy the xenon kit, so I'm thinking of just changing the bulbs only. Like those bulbs they sell on ebay(ex. Blue H7 Xenon HID Headlights) Has anyone put these on their car? Or should I just stick w/ my factory lights?( I want something brighter. My eye only sees things that are really close at night)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Blue will actually strain your eyes at night. Stick with white lights if you want to upgrade. There is a great web page on this, but I can't find it. Maybe someone here can post a link.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Philips Vision Plus work very nicely for halogen bulbs. A bit brighter than stock, not SUPER white, but nice and bright nonetheless.

check out powerbulbs.com or autolamps-online.com

Or just go HID! :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Thanks, I even found out that the U.S. SilverStars are not reccomended.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

For those who want the best possible performance from their headlamps and are more concerned with their ability to see rather than the appearance of their headlamps, the major bulb companies offer optimized bulbs WITHOUT the light-stealing blue coloration. Sylvania Xtravision (in the pink-and-black package), Osram Super and SilverStar(outside North America only!); Philips High Visibility (North America), Premium and Vision Plus (outside North America); Narva RangePower are the ones to look for.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would suggest original PIAA Spark Blue in H7. You should have H7 low beams and high beams. The bulbs sell for roughly $80.00 a set on ebay. PIAA bulbs are the best quality! I would use these if I wasn't running bi-xenons...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
PurdueCS said:
wait a sec which one should i get? H1, H4 or H7??? :???:
H7-- for both 'low beam' and 'main beam' (aka- high beam).

When i got my Philips Vision Plus from powerbulbs.com, i think it ended up being like $30 (or so) shipped from the UK. Plus they included free W5W's for the city lights.
Those were really nice bulbs, esp for the price.
But that was then, HID's rock... :p

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Those bulbs on ebay will destroy your lenses guys... they are high wattage bulbs i believe and will yellow the hell outa ur headlight lens. Make sure you don't go over stock wattage, which is 55 watts i believe. just be careful

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I'm using the Titanium for my High Beams. They are conservatively increased wattage (70w vs 55w). Many here have used the match plus. Some with the harness, some without. Of those that did not use the harness there have been a couple of OEM harness failures.

If you go higher power, it's always safest to use a direct harness with a relay from the battery. I have yet to have any problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.