·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be retired at the end of November. Many road trips to follow! :driving:

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Congratulations! I really hope you can get out there and enjoy whatever it is you are wanting to do.
Let the countdown begin. :salute:

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Grats! I've thought a bit about doing that but I'll probably go three more years. Will be easier to do next spring when the house is paid off.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
House will be paid off at retirement, I will not be working another job. Main priority is getting my health back to normal. I expect to have foot surgery in January that will take several months to recover from. I have had torn ligaments/tendons/cartilage for 3 years in my left foot and want to be able to hike by my son's wedding in May at Yosemite. It would be nice to be able to bike ride again, loose weight and drop my blood pressure without meds (although quitting work will go a long way to solving the BP issues).

I also plan to sleep at night for a change, no more 1am alarms for work.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
With all that spare time you'll be able to do some other unicorn engine/transmission swaps. :p

Matter of fact, I've got one waiting for you. :D

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all of that spare time I might finally finish my car and change the timing belt on the 14 year old Golf.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news Paul. I retired two years ago. I hope you have a lot of hobbies as the first year can be tough. Best wishes and catching up on all of you car projects.
I am pretty good at sitting around doing nothing, as my wife can attest to !

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My short and sweet retirement letter to management earlier this week:

"It is with Great Joy that I announce my retirement from Fedex effective 11/26/18."

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Congratulations! I never understood how you could work such odd hours, then come home and wrench on a bunch of cars. I think towards the end my car may have been inside your garage more than yours was.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
retirement from Fedex effective 11/26/18."
You couldn't have picked a better time.
That'll be oh so nice knowing that after you gorge yourself with all that Thanksgiving food you won't have to work after a nice holiday weekend and face all that insanity like the rest of us poor saps. ;)

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Congratulations! I never understood how you could work such odd hours, then come home and wrench on a bunch of cars.
Often wondered that myself. Paul must be a power napper.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to work on cars for up to 5 hours after I got home, right after lunch. I did not nap, but went to bed by 7pm and got up at 1am. Now I can barely stay awake after work and can't do any work at all when I get home. I sleep more in the afternoon than I do at night, so that does not help. I often worked 50 hours at Fedex and then another 20 on cars in a week. Once the injuries hit, I lost my strength and endurance for work, then my drive. I hope to get some of that back after retirement, I plan on bike riding again, yard work, working out, reading and sleeping at night.

As for the timing, my manager pissed me off (again) and I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. 2 months was enough time for them to make sure my pensions, retiree health care and 401K are all notified and process the paperwork in time.

·
Registered
26,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pushed the retirement up a week. Last day will be Saturday, only 2 days to go :)

I have been with Fedex for 34 years, 4 months and 8 days, but who is counting :p

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Congrats Paul!
Tomorrow is the start of a different life for you. And yes I'm envious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts