Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had the oil pan replaced about 18 months ago. I know the mechanic had to drop the sub-frame to allow clearance. I am thinking he did not replace the bolts (or torque them to the correct value, perhaps just leaning on them. I now hear a faint clunking on the passenger side of the car. (sort of right centerish) From all I have read, the most inexpensive place to start, and the most likely culprit are these bolts. (most of the suspension has been replaced already...Northeast PA roads, thank you very much!) I am picking up the Audi equivalent of the bolts (Audi part number N-908-235-01) as they are heftier than the original. My question is, can I run the car up on ramps and change these one at a time? 2000 Passat Wagon, 1.8T, ATW. Thanks!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,880 Posts
it could be, sure. just make sure the lengths are the same as well as the diameter and the thread pitch.

iirc, it's 90 ft lbs plus 1/4 turn, but check to make sure.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
There were several (at least three) versions of subframe bolts used. So you might want to have transportation to the dealer if the bolts holding your subframe don't match what you think you needed. Yep, get ready for a possible minor parts snafu.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are supposed to be the Audi version of the bolts.. N-908-235-01 Same length and thread but recommended as they are stronger than the originals. I will be picking them up in my 2012 NMS, which had better not have any suspension issues yet!!

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,880 Posts
I find it hard to believe they are a better grade (you said stronger) than the originals. I'd bet they are identical bolts regardless of the application on VW or Audi.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the Vortex forum:
I found a fix! Using OEM parts. With a total cost of $5.78 with tax.
I replaced the stock 110mm subframe mounting bolts with an Audi/Passat bolt.
Instead of using the weak stock bolts that stretch and fail over, and over again, I used subframe connecting bolts from a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro, and torqued them to the spec in the Bentley manual of: 81 ft. lbs. + 1/4 turn.
The part number is N-908-235-01
The Audi bolt is a grade 10.8 bolt like the stock bolt, but with a much larger flange for better torque distribution and It also has a much thicker shank, so it doesn't stretch as easily. The popping, and snapping when entering and leaving my driveway are now gone! I almost love my car again. The two original bolts that I replaced are P/N
WHT-000-431A. The Audi dealership had plenty of these bolts on hand; I checked with two local dealers to make sure. Here's a few pictures comparing the stock bolt (black) with the Audi bolt (green).
Oh... The original bolt looks longer, because it has stretched. It started out the same length (M12-1.5x110mm).

From the picture associated it looks like it may be a better bolt.....or the same one for the Audi and Passat. These do not look like the stretch bolts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.