Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I don't think there really is one...hate to not really offer any help. It more depends on what brand of sub and such. I have two 12's and I don't really like them because they're not very tight, so I thought 10's might be better. I then heard two JL audio 12's and they were very tight and accurate, so it mainly depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
The "tightness" or how deep a sub will play has nothing to do with the size of the sub. Focal makes a 5" sub, yes a 5", that's the best sounding sub I've ever heard, period. Better than anything out HT store sold, better than any theater I've been in or any concert I've been to. Yes, you need to use 4 of them to get some real visceral bottom end, but it's squeaky clean. My second favorite sub is the Image Dynamics IDW-18. Also, it's the midbasses in the system that contribute to the sub's SQ. Confused yet? In short, the sub itself will have remarkably little to do with the SQ of the system. The sub-mid transition, sub-mid phase differences, the type of enclosure, and the tuning of the system make more of a difference than which sub you go with.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Its all in the install my friends. You can have the highest quality equipment in the world, but if you have no fucking clue how to use it, chances are its gonna sound like shiet. Biggest difference in sub size's is displacement. A 15 is going to have the "potential" to get louder, thats it.

Since you like mostly bass heavy music....12s or 15s in a ported box would probably suite your needs.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
I agree with bass-lover1 (read my last post :wink: ) but I'd recommend a bandpass box instead. Rap doesn't have any real deep bass (I'm serious, most of it doesn't go below 40Hz and almos none below 30Hz) so you might as well maximize the output in the area it does play.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
True most rap doesnt even go below 35hz, but he can still benefit from a ported box over a bandpass. Even though ported boxes are hard to design and build correctly, they are much much easier than designing and building a 4th or 6th order bandpass.

Deppends on subs for box size and port area but tune to 30hz and it should yeild a nice flat responce.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
True, ported is easier than BP but keeping the sub loaded below the tuning freq. is a good thing. Also, 4th or 6th order doesn't mean bandpass. Adding passive filtering or passive eq to a box will change the order so you can have a 6th order sealed box dependong on what you do.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
True, but the point of a 6th order band pass is to have two natural roll offs. By natrual i mean with ports not with a bandpassed signal. BP boxes can be loud as hell when built properly, but the q-logic ones that most are running around with tend to be very peaky, not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Loud, yes, sound like ass, yes. BP is hard to do right, so I'll stick to my massive ported box that I use for HT :D

Blueprint 1201: 4.1 cubes net, 26 square inches of port, tuned to 22hz. It's low bass whore.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
where's the subtitles in english?

but seriously, i've got a pair of 8" woofers in a small box in the back of the wagon. not looking to do a lot of damage or set off car alarms, but i'd like it to sound decent inside of the cabin. these do the trick nicely without having to spend a lot of money.

now the dilemma i've run into is that it eats up a lot of cargo room.

so i'm thinking.... maybe i should relocate them to the spare tire well?

like i said, i don't listen to music too loudly, and i don't want to rattle the doors off the car next to me; it just has to sound decent in the cabin.

in the pic theres an old hifonics amp; currently it's a rockford fosgate with the same pioneer 8" woofers in that box. the HU is a Pioneer Premier from a few years ago.

is sealing up the spare well and relocating these things down there a bad idea?

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Two things will happen if you move the subs. First, they won't be nearly as loud and second they'll sound a LOT better. Your current bandpass box will make them louder than they'd be normally be but it also takes up a crapload of room. Yes, you can put the 8's in the spare tire well but take note of what will happen. Also, the spare tire well has a hump in the middle of it that will make this harder than it really should be.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well, i have been told that that box does make them sound louder than they normally would in any other box.

however, loud is not what i'm after.

i'm after good clean sound inside the cabin.

with the exception of the HU and this box, the rest of the system in the car is stock (read: factory speakers in doors).

i've found that messing with the EQ in the HU i have found settings that are adequate for the mids and highs (which are what the factory speakers are used for now) and the rest goes to the back where the box is.

Now, seeing as how i'm not looking to blow anyone's doors off... do you think that by moving these subs into the spare tire well and upgrading the existing factory components i'd be making a good move towards improving the sound without losing so much cargo space?

thanks for the info. :beer:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
quality_sound said:
Two things will happen if you move the subs. First, they won't be nearly as loud and second they'll sound a LOT better. Your current bandpass box will make them louder than they'd be normally be but it also takes up a crapload of room. Yes, you can put the 8's in the spare tire well but take note of what will happen. Also, the spare tire well has a hump in the middle of it that will make this harder than it really should be.

Paul I could have sworn the spare tire well in the wagon was flat am I wrong on that point.

Sorry for the Hijack. %80-90 of how a 12v audo system sounds is the install. I will always stand by that though.

Pete

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Two - They;ll work fine in the spare tire well. It'll even be better than using a standard sealed box because it'll load better. Upgrading the components will help a lot as well. I'd look at adding an amp for the door speakers as well.

Pete - I thought they were flat as well until I looked at mine. Maybe it's a B5 vs. B5.5 thing. Any other Variant owners out there that can chime in on this?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Paul

I guess only the Audi A4 and A6 avants have a flat spare tire well that sucks.

Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.