Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres the deal - my dad just purchased a car that the original owner had an inifinty bass-link sub installed in the trunk. i havent taken a look at it yet, but i think its a 10" 200 W powered sub. if it is, i will "relieve" him of that equipment and try to put it in my b5. i dont know much about stereo equipment, and my question is would i need to put in an amp if i want to install this sub? Has anyone had experience with this or similar subs?? i would probably take the car in to a stereo shop to have the install done, so im wondering if if could get away with just the install. thanks in advance.. :bow:
by the way- i dont intend to have glass-shattering bass, just but i would like it to have good kick when i want it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I think the basslink is already amplified.

The same rules would apply for the instal
1. you would need a power source for the amp
2. an audio signal for the amp (high lever) speaker line or (low level) rca jacks
3. a secure mounting area (can't be sliding around in the trunk)
4. amp turn on lead

You can do the install your self if you are familiar with what you are doing or you can get a stereo savvy friend to give you a hand.

·
Banned
1,599 Posts
take it somewhere to get it wired. u need to either drill a hole through the firewall, or splice wires under the steering colum for a power source. if you are not an EXPERT, I DONT SUGGEST TO EVEN TRY IT ON YOUR OWN. take it to a local sound shop or circuit city. at circuit city they give u a warranty and u dont have to worry about messing anything up. thats what i did :thumbup:
-chris

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
VDUBRACER187 said:
take it somewhere to get it wired. u need to either drill a hole through the firewall, or splice wires under the steering colum for a power source. if you are not an EXPERT, I DONT SUGGEST TO EVEN TRY IT ON YOUR OWN. take it to a local sound shop or circuit city. at circuit city they give u a warranty and u dont have to worry about messing anything up. thats what i did :thumbup:
-chris
You don't really need to "drill" a hole through the firewall. There are already exisiting holes that you can fit you power cable through, unless you are planning on using like a 0 gauge cable or something. It is not very hard to do but it is very time consuming if you don't know what youare doing. Hell, its time consuming even if you know what you are doing. I think it is well worth the 60 bucks and the time saved to have best buy do it. I installed an amp and subs in my girlfriend's :b5:, but that experience made me take it to best buy when it came to installing mine.

TIP: buy your amp wiring kit at wal-mart for like $20. I am sure that people are going to argue with me on this one, but for the most part wire is wire. Best buy will charge you like triple the price for what is essentially the same thing.

Thad. :D

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
^^ Couldn't agree more. OFC wire is OFC wire, the 4awg amp kit they sell at Wal-Mart will run ya 26-27 after taxes. You get if memory serves me correctly 17 feet of 4awg. to runs of 5 ft of 8awg, a distroblock, 2 sets of 20 ft rca's, good ol turn on lead. Unfortunately they give you 8awg for ground because they assume you will be running 2 amps which take 8awg in for power wire (thus the distro block) no biggie though, 2 ft of 4awg at a local shop should cost ya ~5 bucks which should hopefully include a terminal ring.

Also, I haven't installed anything in my car as of yet, get comps in the mail on Wed, but from what I've seen so far only prob you would run into would be trying to fit 0awg through a stock grommet, other than that it should be rather strait forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cycles said:
Whether or not you have an amp on your system, I would recommend buying a mono amp JUST for the sub. Preferrably one you can tune.
BUYING ANOTHER AMP IS A WASTE OF MONEY THE UNIT ALREADY HAS AN AMP AND DOSENT NEED ANY MORE JUICE

·
Registered
342 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
^^ Couldn't agree more. OFC wire is OFC wire, the 4awg amp kit they sell at Wal-Mart will run ya 26-27 after taxes. You get if memory serves me correctly 17 feet of 4awg. to runs of 5 ft of 8awg, a distroblock, 2 sets of 20 ft rca's, good ol turn on lead. Unfortunately they give you 8awg for ground because they assume you will be running 2 amps which take 8awg in for power wire (thus the distro block) no biggie though, 2 ft of 4awg at a local shop should cost ya ~5 bucks which should hopefully include a terminal ring.
...snip...
Excuse the stupid question... but isn't it really best to run the ground wire back to the battery? And ground the entire system at the same spot??

·
Registered
23 Posts
the battery is grounded on the body too so it really is the same place

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.