Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well correct me if im wrong, but something must be wrong...this is what i got:

12" Kicker L5 running 600w rms @ 4ohms from an Alpine MRP-M650. Headunit is a Alpine 9856

Idk if i have my headunit programmed wrong or something, but the sub really isnt noticable. I can switch it on and off from the headunit or turn its volume up and down, and i really dont hear any difference at all. The stock speakers bass is the main source of bass thats audible inside. I can only really notice the sub when the sound is on very low (when the stock speakers arent providing any audible bass).
If i open the trunk or pull the seats forward in the back, the bass is very powerful, it just seems like its almost completly muffled by the trunk. I know something has to be wrong....any suggestions?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
yeah, you have a MASSIVE phase problem. start by reversing the polarity (switch the positive and negative speaker leads) and see what happens.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,708 Posts
Don't feel bad man. I did the same thing when I put mine in. I turned up the bass but when I opened the trunk, it sounded like the sound was coming from "inside" the enclosure, if you know what I mean. And the sub wasn't moving. Dumb ass me, switched the polarity while it was playing and I about blew myself over when I connected it:biglaugh: At least, that was my problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I switched the positive and negative...and the sub worked both ways. I think i identified which way was better but im not sure. The real problem im having is my component speakers are creating a lot of bass so its hard to distinguish whats from the sub and isnt from the sub. Anyway...the new questions are:

-Can I get only sub output so i can do more objective tests?

-Any other ideas on how to fix the phase problem besides switching the polarity?

-What are the little dials on the amp for (the bass one is obvious, but theres a gain and something else)?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
1. yes. disconnect the speakers.
2. phase is changed by switching polarity, period.
3. RTFM. if you don't have one, search for it online using the amp name and model.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I switched the positive and negative...and the sub worked both ways. I think i identified which way was better but im not sure. The real problem im having is my component speakers are creating a lot of bass so its hard to distinguish whats from the sub and isnt from the sub. Anyway...the new questions are:

-Can I get only sub output so i can do more objective tests?

-Any other ideas on how to fix the phase problem besides switching the polarity?

-What are the little dials on the amp for (the bass one is obvious, but theres a gain and something else)?

You call that a problem!? Do you know how much work people put in to get their substage to blend like that?:p

·
Registered
618 Posts
You call that a problem!? Do you know how much work people put in to get their substage to blend like that?:p
haha! No Kidding. I'm still trying to get my EQs to blend!

BTW, yes, in some HU models you can adjust the Front/rear hi-pass filters. So depending on what settings you have, you can trim it so that the door speakers cut off at a certain freq. (at least in kenwood HUs..)

otherwise, ya, just disconnect them and listen.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I was going to explain this but I figured a pic would be better. I tried a few different setups but having the subs like this in my car creates the best acoustics and does not rattle as many body panels.

Also make sure the little trap door in between the cabin and trunk is open, this allows the bass to travel to your ears better. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Tree-

Where are you in Nor Cal? I can give you a hand making a fiberglass box on the passenger side for one of those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts