Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going to totaly give my system a make over. I have 2 choices of sub and amp combo's and I would like to see what you guys think.

This is what I am going to do for the speakers and amp.
Fronts : Focal Utopia 165W
Rears : Focal Polyglass 165CV
Speaker Amp : JL 450/4

These are my choices for the sub and amp
1. JL 500/1 amp with JL 10W6v2
or
2. JL 250/1 amp with Focal Utopia 27WX(11 inch sub)

I am looking for great clean sound with the sub as fill. I hate that overpowering boom that people put into their system(no offense to people that have it). I am going to upgrade to an Alpine in dash DVD this summer also so my HU is top notch. Choice number 2 is going to run me about $100 more that choice 1 but from what I hear that is an amazing sub with a great range.

Thanks for the help
Jon

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Why would you downgrade the amp to upgrade the sub?

If it's a money issue, ALWAYS go with the power. Even a "clean" sub doesn't sound good by itself. The illusion of SQ for a sub comes from the midbasses, not the sub.

I vote option 1.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would would have to downgrade the amp because the sub can handle 500 watts max. The Focal Utopia's are amazing, they do not "bump" like some of the people on here say but I want something to match my system. I play all types of music and I think bass should give some sound but not be over powering. If I could afford 2 of the Focal subs I would get them but they are almost $1000 retail and when I factor in the new headunit I am getting I am paying about $3300 my cost(not retail). The price difference for downgrading the amp is only like $70 so that isnt the issue. Also When you spend this much on a system what is another $100.

Jon

Here is the Focal sub info
http://www.focal-america.com/catalog/utopia/27wx.htm

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
The power handling of the sub won't come into play unless you start playing sine waves (rap, r&b and bass cds). With music you can easily go well over the subs thermal limits. I do it all the time and I've NEVER blown a sub, even when doubling or tripling the rated power. :wink:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I should do a 500/1 with one of the 2 subs. Which of the 2 subs would you recomend?

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
They're both really nice and I could make them sound exactly the same. I'd decide based on the box size. IIRC the Focal can be used in Infinite Baffle and ported and the W6 is really designed for a sealed box. If the output is a concern then the Focal in the ported box will be louder than the JL in the sealed box and the Focal run IB will be last.

I'd probably do the Focal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
JT02460 said:
This is what I am going to do for the speakers and amp.
Fronts : Focal Utopia 165W
Rears : Focal Polyglass 165CV
Speaker Amp : JL 450/4
PLEEEEEEAASE dont get 165W's unless you've got some huge (.75cuft) kickpanels to put them in. The 165K2P component set has a better tweeter, (TN52 vs TN51) and a midbass driver that is much more suited to installing in your doors. You will be missing out on a great deal of warmth by chosing the 165W for your doors vs the K2P. Even in the kickpanel the K2P will have more warmth, but the W will be a little more relaxed. So assuming you are into smoothe sounding, well balanced music, the 165W will be great in kicks, but I really think you'll be doing yourself a dis-service by putting them in your doors as opposed to the K2P series.

That having been said, I definaly think you should get the 500/1 and the JL 10 over the focal sub with the 250/1, but why a JL sub? I think that you would be much better off with a pair of image IDQ10's on the 500/1. Historically the idq's are awesome subs, and the 10's are rediculously "fast" and sound great. Not to mention things like the much tighter tolerances they are built to, the smaller voice coil gap (which equals better cone control), better efficiency, higher construction quality, better cone design, and about 98 thousand other things I can think of for reasons to get a pair of IDQ 10's for your SQ application over an overpriced JL subwoofer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can get focal and JL for cost. Which is actually cheeper then the IDQ's. That is why I am going with them.

Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
JT02460
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing