Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I call a local VW dealership to inquire on how much it would cost to put on my Eibach Pro-System. Well, besides the price being extremely high (for installation and 4 wheel alignment - $700), he also tells me that the ride its going to be a lot rougher and that I might have a lot more problems.

I found this to be hilarious. I asked him how he thought companies like Eibach make money if they "supposedly" make the ride rougher and cause other problems. He had no explanation, but was quick to tell me that my warranty will be voided on certain things. I don't see how a more superior suspension package could cause a warranty to be voided. I understand it's not VW's, but why would they sell the Eibach springs (at VW dealerships) and say those alone don't void the warranty. But if you get the Eibach dampers on also, that will void the warranty. Does this make any sense to anyone else?????

I think he just didn't know what he was talking about. Does anyone else agree? If the Eibach springs don't void the warranty - there is no way the dampers will also.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, if you install an aftermarket part, and the dealer can prove that that aftermarket item caused the damage, then it won't be covered by warranty. so, if a control arm failed because you installed sport shocks/springs, then you're SOL. but it is strange about the eibach springs/struts. not sure why that is.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
cram51 said:
I call a local VW dealership to inquire on how much it would cost to put on my Eibach Pro-System. Well, besides the price being extremely high (for installation and 4 wheel alignment - $700), he also tells me that the ride its going to be a lot rougher and that I might have a lot more problems.

I found this to be hilarious. I asked him how he thought companies like Eibach make money if they "supposedly" make the ride rougher and cause other problems. He had no explanation, but was quick to tell me that my warranty will be voided on certain things. I don't see how a more superior suspension package could cause a warranty to be voided. I understand it's not VW's, but why would they sell the Eibach springs (at VW dealerships) and say those alone don't void the warranty. But if you get the Eibach dampers on also, that will void the warranty. Does this make any sense to anyone else?????

I think he just didn't know what he was talking about. Does anyone else agree? If the Eibach springs don't void the warranty - there is no way the dampers will also.
And the dampers are made by Sachs which makes the factory dampers :crazy:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already know that people who have the Pro-System are more than happy with the set up. As a matter of fact, this forum and VWvortex helped convince me to get the Pro-System. So thats not an issue. I just got my women asking about warranty and I'm hoping to appease her with news that it won't be affected - which I feel it shouldn't. I'm having the stealership install it (I talked to the mechanic and he is a grizzly veteran of VW cars for over 35 years who also has installed the system numerous times), which should encourage more cooperation from VW.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
well, if you install an aftermarket part, and the dealer can prove that that aftermarket item caused the damage, then it won't be covered by warranty.
That is the *key*. They have to prove that the mod caused the exact failure.
There is a specific consumer protection law that addresses this.

fyi, I recently had a wheel bearing replaced under warranty, even though I'm pretty slammed on H&R Sports.
The dealer didn't say anything about my suspension, just replaced it at no cost.
And that's not even my regular dealer....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.