Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate recently pulled my 1999 b5 out of the garage, and now it is dead. I recently replaced my battery and coolant temp sensor... the car ran fine prior to that, but now it won't start... Ive researched on the forums, and I think that's what the problem is...

It cranks but won't start, it kiiiiiiiinda turns over but not all the way.. the question now is how do I get the damn thing started?

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
what exactly is car wash syndrome?
While I haven't seen anyone talk about this lately, when I first got my car in November of '02 and there abouts, people would note that if they started their car and moved it only a short distance (like out of the garage to wash it), they would have a difficult time getting the car to start afterward.

To the OP - does it crank and not catch, or doesn't it crank at all?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
what exactly is car wash syndrome?
it usually means that the engine /fuel inj.diddnt go past rich mix for cold start leaving too much unburned fuel creating possible starting problems i believe,most likey it should be called a cold start/cold shutown move

·
Registered
569 Posts
Try giving it some throttle when you are starting the car... don't be shy. If it starts and runs rough, keep giving it throttle until the idle stabilizes, should be idling normal in under 20 seconds. Had this exact same problem a couple days ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In Volvo land we called it the Lawn mower syndrome

You move the car out of the garage to get the lawn mower out, try to start the car to put it back in the garage once your done mowing and its a no go. For Volvo 850's, we suggest that you remove the spark plugs, add a little oil to each cylinder and then put it all back together and starter up.

Now in Volvo land the no start was caused from a loss of compression. If you care to learn more go to brickboard.com and search.

Jeff

·
Registered
91 Posts
My mom recently had a similar problem. She moved her 2002 Jetta out of her garage, and it would not start afterwards. It came down to a fouled plug. The motor was trying to turn, but there was no spark. Swapped the plugs, and it started properly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it will crank but won't catch, I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago, changed plugs 1 month ago, pulled them out, checked to see if they were wet, still no start. Any more suggestions before I get it towed?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Don't have it towed. Give me a call at 2-3 today and i'll meet you somewhere and we can take a look at it. I've had to figure out how to fix just about everything there is to fix on my B5

387-0576

Ethan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, after consulting with Turbo2000, and trouble shooting stuff all afternoon, I still can't get the damn car to start. It gets INCREDIBLY close to starting, however it's just not getting any spark. I changed the spark plugs, scanned it and got a cylinder 2 misfire. I then switched the coil packs around (2&4 and 1&3), and then it didn't get an engine code, however it still wouldn't start.

Would the ICM (the thing on the Air-box) go bad? How would I test it? I unhooked it but it still didn't start, so I don't know if that is the problem or not.

Any help before I load it up and find a lake with a nearby cliff to push it off of? I'm going on 1 week with no ride....

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
It definitely might be the ICM. There is a writeup on here showing you how to test it w/ a multi-meter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And i decided to start it this morning.. fired right up.. smoked like a freight train at first, and it runs fine.. My idle is pretty steady around 900? but it drops down to 700ish at times. Maybe replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor did it once the ECU knew what the hell was going on? Maybe I got lucky... I'm imposing a 5minute rule on turning my car on and moving it.. damnit... lots of stress for nothing

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I really don't think it was the CTS that caused all of this. Lots of people on here had replaced the CTS and have not had the problems you had. I think something else is amiss with the car.....

We can get together sunday or one day next week and test you ICM and see what happens.

What plugs were in the Car BTW?

Ethan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts