Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake yesterday and bought 4 225-55-17 tires to replace the ones I have on my B5.
I do realize I should have bought 225-45 instead but I screwed it up.
Should I still try to mount them and try them on the car or is it a waste of time or even dangerous?
My car currently has 3 different sizes on it and my intention was to unify the sizes and lift the car a little, obviously I didn't understand the numbering on the wheels properly....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yeah, that's a not insignificant size difference.

My quick napkin math puts the correct tire at 20.98" diameter (unloaded); what you bought is 21.87". One inch diameter difference = 1/2" taller sidewall.
If you think that'll fit, you're free to try (but, remember, you're paying for mounting, even if they rub.)

Other thing: A taller tire will roll slower. Again, napkin math puts it at a 4% difference - slower. Indicated speed will be ~4% slower than actual (which, in actuality, will only be ~1% below actual, due to our cars' slightly optimistic speedometers.)
It'll also cause the odometer to be 'slow.' -4% means that you'll accumulate 94 miles for every 100 miles actually driven.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I don't know where did you get those numbers from?'
I have them at 25" and 26.7" in 1010tres.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cuppie, I apologize if my previous post came out to harsh, I was in the middle of something and replied without thinking too much.
I do appreciate the info you provided.
I guess I will mount one tire tomorrow and see how that fits.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
If there is a concern on how the tires will perform and before you're stuck with them, can't you exchange them for the ones you originally wanted?

If you do go ahead and end up using them, you'll notice that your acceleration from a stop won't be as quick as what your used too.
And depending on how in tune you are to your car, you'll also notice increased braking effort needed to slow the car from speed or bring it to an abrupt stop.

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I don't know where did you get those numbers from?'
I have them at 25" and 26.7" in 1010tres.com
Yeah, I bunged up the math - forgot to double the sidewalls. Rookie mistake!

24.97", and 26.74". Rolling difference is just shy of 7%. Very big difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, I ended up getting a set of 215/50/17
A neighbor bought two of the 225/55 so not all is bad

·
Registered
451 Posts
You don't mention offset or the et of your wheels. The 225.55.17s may stick out too far with the oem offset of 37. I use 225.50.17s for summer and 225.55.16s for winter. The 17 inch wheels have an et of 35 and the 16s (oem Montreals) 37. 225.45.17 is a favored size for B5 Passats, but too low profile for the worn-out roads of the NE states I feel. Perhaps the islands have better roads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts