Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t get the wiper arms off of one of my cars. I even tried a gear puller to no avail. Is the a trick to popping them off the post that doesn’t break anything? I’ve already cracked the cowl that goes underneath the arms.

TIA,

Tom

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
Soak them with PBblaster. Then you can try a heat gun and the gear puller again.

·
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paul, I was hoping you would have a special tool for this activity. :) Funnt thing was as I removed the cap over the nut it flew out of my hands into the engine compartment and then a black hole. Luckily I got another at the local bone yard.

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
No corrosion here, so they usually are not too bad. I've used the gear puller and a hammer to hit the side to break a stuck one loose.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
For some reason, mine have always just taken a wiggle. Lift the wiper arm up to take tension off the post, wiggle side to side and off it comes. Maybe spray a little WD or PB blaster into the splines beforehand.

·
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the tool above was a complete bust. It's so lame that one of the arms broke off during use. However, I this find the right tool. It's sold as a tie rod puller but fits the VW wiper arm perfectly.

tie rod by Thomas Parish, on Flickr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts