Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Reread your post, address the transmission fluid/oil level issues asap. If you decide to do a transmission fluid/filter service/change right off the bat.........measure exactly the volume that you drain out, and the amount you put in to fill correctly, the difference being the amount you were low, confirming if indeed your troubles were manifested by a low fluid condition or something else going on in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what Lowegian was referring to was the oil/fluid pump within the transmission. Suggest at minimum you check fluid leve ,filling if necessary, before any more or serious damage occurs. As a separate issue you cleaned out all the sludge in the "gearbox" / crankcase, regardless a lot of times the cleaned "pieces" that you might have missed or loosened have migrated to your pickup tube/screen again..... thus the "stop" engine, Not knowing year or mileage,replacing the oil pump is an option. I would also replace oil pressure switch as that is probably also compromised with the crap floating around. The screen is most likely clogging or partially blocked, cleaning does help but the coke build up on it only attracts more, you should also be running the "big kahuna" oil filter to add capacity.
Thanks for any and all feedback guys! However when you say check level of oil/trans fluid and then fill necessary to level.
My 2003 Passat 1.8L Turbo Automatic transmission has no way of checking the level. Let alone it is almost impossible to add. That's the bottom of trans pan. Smaller hole is for drain I figure. The larger one is for filling I assume

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The process to fill the trans oil is documented in many places here. The tl;dr version is you get the car level on jack stands, drain the old fluid, replace the drain plug, open the fill plug and pump oil into the trans until it starts to drip out. Then you start the car and continue to fill the trans through the fill plug until the oil is at a certain temp then you replace the fill plug while the car is still running. The pump inside the trans will be pulling oil out of the pan that is why you need the car running while it is filled. The oil level is set by a collar inside the fill plug that allows the oil to just start dripping out when it is at the correct level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The process to fill the trans oil is documented in many places here. The tl;dr version is you get the car level on jack stands, drain the old fluid, replace the drain plug, open the fill plug and pump oil into the trans until it starts to drip out. Then you start the car and continue to fill the trans through the fill plug until the oil is at a certain temp then you replace the fill plug while the car is still running. The pump inside the trans will be pulling oil out of the pan that is why you need the car running while it is filled. The oil level is set by a collar inside the fill plug that allows the oil to just start dripping out when it is at the correct level.
That makes sense, as I just had my car up on 4 jacks last night. I used a carpenter level to make sure I was in range.
What I did was(suggested by a tic tac mechanic) take out the full plug, then use a 5/8" tube with a funnel fashioned to one end and at the other end fashion a right angle copper pipe in smaller diameter.
Have the funnel end held door high as you fill with trans fluid.....while the other end is in the filler hole, up inside the guide.
Well right away the fresh ATF fluid started coming out. I tried to pour a bit more right before I put the filler cap back in.
Total hack way I'm guessing I was led to attempt. I am going to need this special pump I presume?
On a nother diagnostic thought of mine, do you think it could be the transmission solenoid?

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Just making sure you saw that the engine needs to be running in order to fill it up, then install the plug before turning off. Did you do that? If you removed the fill plug with the engine off and nothing came out, you are way under-filled.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A transmission solenoid is a possibility. Reading the trans codes will help determine that. There are multiple solenoids in the valve body of the trans. There isn't a one-to-one correspondence between solenoids and gears though as various gears use different combinations of valves/solenoids.

The slipping at high load in the higher gears seems more like a worn out TC or low oil pressure inside the trans. The erratic, hard shifts could also be low pressure or bad solenoid(s) or faulty control signals or probably other things, too.

Gravity feed will work for filling the trans but as mentioned the car needs to be running to set the oil level. Once the engine stops, the transmission oil pump stops and all the fluid flows back out of the trans into the pan. The oil level needs to be set, ie the filler plug closed, with the engine running and the trans and oil at the correct temperature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you feel that what I am experiencing as of 2 days ago, out of the blue. Could have something to do with dropping my subframe and suspending my engine block...and not knowing/having the ability to align my subframe when putting back on.
Also I noticed two of my engine mount boots had noticeable wear and tear. Not to the extreme amount, but more your average Minnesota winter abuse on vehicles.

I appreciate everything you have been willing to share with me. You're a rockstar my friend

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Many things are possible. There is a engine speed sensor (ESS) down there and there is a bundle of wires going into a switch on the trans located in the general vicinity. Problems with those can cause havoc that could possibly be related. Or something could have gotten dislodged inside the trans and clogged a solenoid or its passage. It's all guess work at this point so getting a scan of the transmission codes would help a lot.

So all these problems started after the oil pan was replaced and before you did anything to the transmission and its fluid?

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
If you damaged the oil pan, the trans pan could have been damaged too. Maybe it slowly leaked out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Many things are possible. There is a engine speed sensor (ESS) down there and there is a bundle of wires going into a switch on the trans located in the general vicinity. Problems with those can cause havoc that could possibly be related. Or something could have gotten dislodged inside the trans and clogged a solenoid or its passage. It's all guess work at this point so getting a scan of the transmission codes would help a lot.

So all these problems started after the oil pan was replaced and before you did anything to the transmission and its fluid?
Yes, however I was getting the "STOP-OIL PRESSURE- SEE MANUAL" message even before my oil pan got split wide open. I bottomed out coming out of a wallgreens, and the streets of St.paul are vicious in the winter. Luckily was less then a mile from home.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The "stop oil pressure" oil pressure message is independent of the transmission's status of hard shifting/limp mode conditions, however PZ and Lowegian have hit on something..........assuming that what I have read in the previous posts is correct, that only then after the severe curb rash did you experience the transmission problems. With that in mind I would take a close look at the connector that enters the front drivers side of the transmission,it's a 1/4 turn disengaging round connector. I just did a continuity (pin out) test between it and the TCM and thought, this harness is "hanging" out here in the wind waiting to get clipped, and that also goes for the transmission range switch harness on the side of the transmission nearby. Hitting the curb may have cut/damaged one or more of the internal 15 wires. And as previously mentioned the solenoids work in conjunction with each other so just one damaged solenoid signal wire could affect different gears and shifting characteristics, worth examining while filling/servicing your transmission.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts