Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to change my transmission oil today and got the fill plug off easy, but when it came to the drain plug it was all rusted up and stripped from only a couple of attempts. I already have a new drain plug coming in, so what is my best course of action for getting the old one off? One idea I had was sacrificing the 16mm striple square and JB welding it into the socket. Any other ideas? I would weld, but I don't have the tools for that. Heating it wont really work since there is little to no more teeth to grip on in the socket.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
My memory has faded from having this done fifteen years ago, but I think my local foreign car mechanic complained that it requires a special 17-splined torx that he didn't have? I seem to recall Snap-On may make one, but I guess that doesn't address the stripping issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My particular car has both the fill plug and drain plug as that same "star" shaped socket, with the tamper-proof notch. The bit I have worked and fits flawlessly on the fill plug, which was not rusted. So I know for a fact that I have what I need. It just that the drain plug was slightly seized and along with being rusted, stripped with any type of force.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts