Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Passat with 14mm x 1.5mm lug bolts. One of the threaded holes in the hub has been stripped and the bolt won't even start. It looks like the first 2 or 3 threads have been damaged badly.

I'm thinking of trying to run a tap through the threads from the back side of hole. This way I would be able to get the tap started properly. Has anyone had the hub off and recall if it would be possible to run a tap from the back side? I've seen pictures, but I'm not sure if there would be clearance to do this.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
with an M14x1.5 taper tap(aka starter tap) you may more than likely be able to start the tap effectively from the front. The initial few thread leads are smaller in order to get it down into the good threads before it starts cutting. With the through holes on the hub, you don't have to chase it with a bottom tap either(because it's not a blind hole).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have the taper tap on order, so I'll try from the front first, and if that doesn't work I'll remove the hub and try from the back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts