Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. I have a 2002 Passat wagon with 166K miles on the odometer, bought recently (I am the 3rd owner). Much of the paperwork showing maintenance performed was done before 2010 (the 2nd owner did not have any documents to show work done since then), so I have elected to start with a TB change. I have a Jetta on which I have done a few jobs (most recently a AC compressor replacement). I have never performed a TB change myself but I have thoroughly researched the job (Blauparts.com video and write up, Youtube.com, and this forum). All so far has gone well until I committed the cardinal sin: stripped not one but two 6 mm hex head bolts, one on the harmonic balancer, one on the pulley bracket for the fan. I have removed stripped bolts in the past with different methods. Again, I went on-line to see what other folks have done on the Passat. My question: in what order should I try to attempt removal of these bolts, using methods such as a torx wrench to bite into the worn head, a chisel or center punch and hammer to twist the head, a screw extractor such as sold by Sears, Lowes, etc., or removing the bolt head with a Dremel tool and once the bracket or harmonic balancer is free using a vice grip to wrench out the remainder of the bolt? I defer to the forum with folks that have gone down this road before. Some of you may find one or more of the methods objectionable due to additional harm that may be wrought. Please advise. I surely am grateful to this and other forums from which I have learned much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Solution #1
Go here: Drill Hog USA Spiral Easy Outs Set Round Screw Extractor 9Pc Easy Out USA MADE | eBay
These might work. They appear to be stubby. They are spiral type. The website gives sizes so you be able to calculate what size will work. They are pricey.
Solution #2
Sears has something that looks promising called Sock-it-out that looks to be made for buggered socket head bolts.
Solution #3
Sears also has a Craftsman damaged nut remover set; they also carry the same thing made by Lisle. I have used these on hex head nuts and they work.
Advise: Bring same size bolt to Sears, tool shop, Autozone, etc. and try to fit a square easy out. To get regular easy-out to fit you can cut the end of the easy-out with a dremmel. Use a lot of penetrating oil. Might try heat from acetylene torch. Might try air chisel to vibrate bolt to loosen it. As a last resort: invent new curse words. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9elf, thanks for the advice (although I'm late in acknowledging your contribution). I tried the Sears (Lisle) bolt head removers as a last resort (really banged hard on the tool to get it to bite down deep onto the head bolt). What I think really helped the remover was to chisel bites around the bolt head before applying the remover so that it got a good deep bite onto the bolt. Had this failed I was ready to take my Dremel and remove the bolt head. Needless to say, I replaced both damaged bolts. Thanks for your time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.