Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry you can't see pic. I exited out of site and came back and see pic. But the marks on cam cap is on both inner ledge of mark on cams. I just wondered if oil pressure got to tensioner if it would make marks line up or if it's too far out to try to install head.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
It could also be the shoes wearing. It would be best to post a panoramic view of both cams at one time to see where things are. If one is on the left side and the other is on the right, it may be off a link.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are both on the outer edge of the marks. There is no slack in the chain and there is minimal wear on shoes. I was wondering when it got oil pressure if the pressure would be stronger than the spring and make the chain a little tighter on top to bring the marks in line. When I put it together I had a heck of a time getting them that close. If I were a link off they would'nt line up that close. I just wondered if anyone came across this before.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
2001 Wagon 1.8 ltr. turbo

The pics show, and you first said:

But the marks on cam cap is on both inner ledge of mark on cams.
Now you say:

They are both on the outer edge of the marks.
As previuosly requested:
Can you post pics showing both pairs of timing marks and all the visible part of the chain in 1 pic ?

What is the black goo on the cam shaft and bearing cap ?

Are you sure the lower CCT shoe is not worn or broken ?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
In my experience, FWIW, cam chains on these engines don't stretch to the point of needing replacement. As you stated, the timing marks indicate the cams are timed properly (i.e. the timing marks would be no where near this close otherwise). Not sure how many miles on the engine; could be worn shoes/chain guides as GSO Passat stated. If the engine has ~150K and I were gonna keep the car, I'd put new ones in

For further info. on this, contact PZ or post in The Garage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The black goo is high pressure/temp engine assembly lube. Sorry about the mix up on saying where the marks are. As your looking down on the cams the mark on caps are on the inner ledge of mark. I will post in garage. What is PZ ?? 150 K on it

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
PZ is another member here on PassatWorld, a very knowledgeable and helpful member that has been around Passats for a long time.

Pictures are more valuable than words at this point. Is the engine at TDC as well? How are you verifying TDC?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Timing marks a hair off. New chain ?? pic

th_vwcam_zps2514313e.jpg
This is intake cam, the exhaust cam looks the same, the mark on cam is on outside of mark on cap. Will oil pressure take up the slack ??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The head is on my bench. I just got the car and sister said new belt was installed in 2011 and it stripped teeth on me a month ago. Since I have replaced all valves new everything but I just need to know about marks before I install head. I don't want to bend another valve.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Head is off car and photobucket and me are fighting at the moment. First time I have used da bucket. Pictured is intake cam and exhaust cam mark is on left side of cap mark, exact same distance as pictured. I will try to get better pics up.

·
Registered
27,861 Posts
In reply to your PM:

Yes, generally the slack is at the top. Make sure there are 15.5 links between the marks. If the CCT is not fully extended,there would still be 15.5 links, but the cam marks would be on the outer edges of the caps (which sounds and looks like what you have). If you rotate the cam clockwise, the CCT would spring up and take up the slack. Once fully extended, the marks should line up.

·
Registered
27,861 Posts
Replied to your other thread. PM a mod to merge the two threads and in the future keep it to one thread to avoid confusion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts