Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tired streets of San Jose can be a burden to a lowered Passat, luckily my oil pan is still intact. I was able to just squeeze in to the Thor group buy, the guys at Evolution Imports graciously working with me and my tight finances to get my baby the protection she needs.

Thanks Evo. Imports for the awesome product! :salute:

:wrench:

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
:thumbup:

When you think of the Bay area temperate climate FREE of snow and salt and the REST of the PW residences, THEY need to be WORRIED as municipal budgets are themselves being SCRUNCHED with layoffs let alone filling in potholes.
Getting a Thor should supercede any modding

·
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! :beer:

It took it's first hit today, leaving the Target on Hillsdale Ave, for anyone familiar with the area. I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm sure it took the hit well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have one of those, its not on any more because I botomed out really badly and it stripped what ever those things are, the rivet nuts? any way it really helped while i had it on

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
I have one of those, its not on any more because I botomed out really badly and it stripped what ever those things are, the rivet nuts? any way it really helped while i had it on
IF you're LOWERED and you don't have STIFFER springs and GOOD shocks
then that is when the vehicle comes into JEOPARDY.

·
WF16 Champion and Argumentative Wanker
9,018 Posts
I'm low and still haven't gotten a Thor...stupid on my part, but I'm f'in BROKE. It's next on the list.

·
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice Dave :thumbup:

How's the install, is it pretty easy plug & play, or do you need to modify things?
Very easy install. Two fasteners need to be added to the rear subframe (the holes for which are already there) and two clips on the radiator support also need to be upgraded. It came with all necessary hardware. After adding the fasteners, it's a simple bolt-on.

Went to Santa Cruz last night, and it took two more nasty hits. That was my first time in downtown Santa Cruz since I've been lowered, and I'm damn glad I had the skid plate.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks great! Does it sit lower than the factory plastic crap? Those bolt heads look freaking huge, they might catch on everything?!

·
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks great! Does it sit lower than the factory plastic crap? Those bolt heads look freaking huge, they might catch on everything?!
No, it doesn't sit lower. It slides in between the lower lip and the radiator support. You can't see it in my pic because my lip was destroyed when I got the car, and I had to trim it to make it look decent. Now that I have the skid plate, I will be buying some new fender liners and a new lip.

I also had the same concerns about the bolt heads, but in that last pic I posted, you can see that so far, I've only caught that lower edge of the plate, nowhere near any of the bolts.

Now that you have a nice skid plate....

Lower it!

Put that thing to use....
She's lowered two inches. It'll only be going lower when she's on air and I lay out in parking lots. :lol:

·
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
VERY carefully. A few friends call me grandma... :lol:

I've actually nailed the pan at least 4 times, I'm incredibly lucky that I didn't crack it. Especially when I hit the bottom of the oil level/temp sensor, I was sure it would have cracked around the sensor indentation but no serious damage. Most of my scraping, however, is the exhaust and bottom of the cab when she comes down over speed bumps. However, I've also knocked it on a few streets where the SUV population has caused ruts to form on the left and right of the lane, leaving a large mountainous ridge in the center of the lane, right in the path of the pan; most notably (since it's the only one I consistently encounter and have learned how to avoid), the left turn onto Pearl Ave. northbound from Branham Ln. east.

None of that is a concern any longer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts