Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Strange Squeak while idle/in park/low RPM - Small RPM noise gone!

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  2002GLXV6 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone!

I have a slightly strange situation going on with my poor Passat GLX V6 2003 .. recently I've heard a small squeaking coming from the engine bay and in attempts to resolve it (Wonderful DIY's helped made it possible from this site! <3) ... I found I didn't fix anything.

What I did:
  • Changed serpentine belt.
  • Changed belt tensioner.
  • Cleaned all the pulleys to remove any debris or gunk build up.

And sadly my car still sounds like the following:

https://www.mediafire.com/?0pluzlu7vppj4ra -- around 6 seconds in you can hear the squeaking the best.

Now an odd part of this is when I am in park, and I rev the RPM's even just 50, the noise goes away.
My Passat idles fine at 750~ish .. when I barely press the gas so it's at 800~ the squeak poofs.

Any help or thoughts that will point me in the correct direction will be highly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yikes!!! I hope your antivirus is just going nuts else I have another issue to worry about(sigh ) even if you click. "Listen ?"

but sounds like a good option just 1:37am right now, need to wait until stores open.

Thank you for your reply!

#4 ·
You can remove the serpentine belt and run engine for short time just to see if noise goes away! If so than you know it's something driven by the belt, if so you need to isolate what is making the noise, also check to see if your power steering fluid is full. If it's full you may need to flush fluid but vw has very specific fluid not normal power steering fluid.

#5 ·
If you remove serpentine belt and noises still there and may be something with the timing belt or something the timing belt is turning you can pull the top timing belt covers off of the cylinder heads but that's about the only covers you can pull without majorly pulling car apart( to inspect timing belt)

#6 · (Edited)
I've heard that before. Time for a timing belt, belt tensioner, Belt dampener, Relay roller, Thermostat and Water pump. You have a bearing starting to go bad. Mine was the Relay roller bearings going bad and the water pump was getting a little loose as well. And this was just 20K or so after having a complete timing service from an Indy shop done using OEM parts, So this time I decided to do it myself and use all OE VW parts.

Things can only get worse from here, you need to be proactive on this.

Blauparts, FCPEuro and ECStuning have kits with everything you will need. Buy your replacement G13 coolant at your local dealer. And there are a few special tools you will need. Or if you're like me and prefer OE VW parts for engine critical parts https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html has good prices and are good people to deal with. But, you will double your parts cost.

There are several good DIYs and a few videos on how to do the service. Plus a great community of people here willing to answer questions.
YOU MUST HAVE a Cam Locking Bar and a Crank Lock Pin to do this service.

This is a service you have to be very detailed with, but if you are mechanically inclined it's not too bad. Just take your time and if unsure about something Stop, ask and wait for a reply before going forward.

Lock carrier-service position and front bumper removal - B5 Passat | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

2000 Passat V6 2

Audi A4 B5 2.8L V6 Timing Belt Replacement | Removal And Installation | Happy Wrenching

[/URL][/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.