Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought a 99 1.8t about a month ago and its been running great until today. On my way to work I noticed a strange rattling noise coming from the engine. Once I get up to speed it goes away for awhile. It rattles the most when I am at and idle. Wondering if you guys have any insight to what this could be. I do have a 3 month warranty on the car, so anything can be fixed. Any suggestions?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
MAny, many things could cause this.
Get yourself a 24" wooden dowel and try to find the cause. (hold one end against your temple and use the other to pinpoint the noise)
Be carefull, there are things spinning in there.
Could be a pully, fans, tensioner, water pump , ac compressor, idler pully, cams, timeing belt. to name but a few.
I would guess it's the timing belt tensioner. When it siezes your timing belt will snap and write off your engine.
So, get it seen to.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another thing that I forgot to mention as that the noise gets a bit louder right before its shifts into another gear and when I get up to about 40 mph the noise is completely gone until I slow back down again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could be the timing chain tensioner. Clattering sound almost like a diesl, right?
That's what mine was on my 01.5. Get it checked, it might be failing due to low oil pressure, too.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
My cam chain clattered like a diesel on hot idle, because the heat-thinned oil was leaking through the cam seals, oil-starving the cam chain adjuster. Get it fixed before the cam chain jumps a cog or two and your intake valves collide with your pistons. If you are unlucky, the clatter is caused by coke particles blocking the oil pump inlet screen and/or clogging the CCA itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts