Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed a loud rattle but only under hard acceleration and only after the car has had a high speed run down a motorway (highway) for say 20-30 miles at around 80/90 mph, i slow down for the off ramps and then accelerate away in 3rd and i get a loud rattle, sounds like its coming from underneath the gearstick area of the car (but that could just be the sound coming through the opening for the gear linkage), it sounds like maybe an exhaust clamp is loose or like a heat shield rattling.

Anyone experienced anything like it, i've not had chance (bad weather, hurricane charly) to have a look under the car to see if anything is loose, or does it sound like something more serious?? :???:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well you could pull the gear shift console apart and grease the fittings and maybe double check the linkage underneath.

Is it possible it could be an exhaust rattle? Like a bad flange or mounting point?

Off topic- The hoses for AWM will be arrive FedEx to your place tomorow or maybe Monday. :bow:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LIVE4SPD said:
Well you could pull the gear shift console apart and grease the fittings and maybe double check the linkage underneath.

Is it possible it could be an exhaust rattle? Like a bad flange or mounting point?

Off topic- The hoses for AWM will be arrive FedEx to your place tomorow or maybe Monday. :bow:
Well i think the rattle is pretty much exhaust related either a heat shield or exhaust clamp (i hope) and the power almost feels like it is dropping off around 4500/5000 revs and then picks up again.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i was down at the local VW stealership today to have the steering arm recall check done and get my radio code and i asked them as the car will be up on the ramps for the steering check, could they have a look at the exhaust to see if a clamp is loose.

Problem diagnosed, there is a metal sleeve that apparently connects 2 bits of the exhaust system together and that was very rusted and starting to fall apart, possibly its reared its head due to the increase in boost pressure since my chip.

The stealership guy said they had the part instock and could do it for like £45 ($81) but i declined as i'm looking for a new exhaust anyway.

Got the radio code that i didn't have while i was there, the woman yesterday said it would be £10 ($18) for that service because they have to fax a request through to vw for it :shock: but they didn't charge me today and i wasn't going to remind them about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.