Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For past couple of months I'm starting to have issue while putting gas in the tank. Basically as soon as I starting to put the gas the gun(pump) stops, like if the tank was full. I have to take the gun out and put it back again (about 100 times) until the tank at least partially full because I won't know when the tank is really full

I was wondering if anybody knows why this is happening.

TAI
Dmitriy

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
dimafp said:
For past couple of months I'm starting to have issue while putting gas in the tank. Basically as soon as I starting to put the gas the gun(pump) stops, like if the tank was full. I have to take the gun out and put it back again (about 100 times) until the tank at least partially full because I won't know when the tank is really full

I was wondering if anybody knows why this is happening.

TAI
Dmitriy
You're pumping too fast and the gas entering the tank is foaming and triggering off the pump. Fill at half throttle and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You should be able to fill the tank without having to throttle the pump nozzle.
Check the vent hoses for the gas tank. That's all I got.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I think sometimes it's just the pump being bad, I know 1 pump at 1 gas station that stops pumping as soon as it starts at any throttle (gas pump pressure) I provide. Every other gas station has never given me trouble. Next time try a different pump at that station?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
dont top off your tank. this can fill the carbon cannister with liquid gas, not allowing the fumes to vent when you're filling the tank again, causing the issue you are currently having.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
The "I-can't-fill-my-tank" thread has come up a bunch of times both here and on Vortex. But, honestly, I can't ever remember reading what the solution was to the problem. I don't think it's going to be just that the one pump or station is acting that way on the OP's car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had this problem since fall of 2005 on my '03 1.8t. Got the carbon canister replaced and covered by warranty.
Doing my DIY 40K maintenence in December, I found a cracked hose in Evaporative System.
Since I don't have this bad habit of topping off my tank, I think, this could be the reason of clogged canister. The fumes just were not properly vented.

The hose I've replaced is located under plastic cover above the airbox. This hose is not on the pressurized side of the system, so there was no CEL.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
A few tings can cause it. The "flap" in the filler neck can come dislodged or the canister. In the last few months at VW, I've seen a few charcoal canisters fail. The charcoal comes apart and flows forward to the N-80 valve under the hood. This is usually caused by the tank being "topped off" on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is this a fix I can handle, or do I need to take my Passat to the shop? Whenever I fill-up, the gas tank cannot release air unless I pull the pump nozzle out of the filler neck. It's like the gas tank has a VERY bad case of gas. Any ideas out there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is this a fix I can handle, or do I need to take my Passat to the shop? Whenever I fill-up, the gas tank cannot release air unless I pull the pump nozzle out of the filler neck. It's like the gas tank has a VERY bad case of gas. Any ideas out there?
This was a good question that never got answered. Has anyone actually tried to remedy this weird problem? My 2000 1.8t Passat has been having the same problem for some time now, and I'd like to fix it for good before I run into a situation where the tank doesn't accept fuel at all.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
^It'd probably be a good idea to start a new thread describing your problem in better detail than "the gas tank cannot release air unless I pull the pump nozzle out of the filler neck". :crazy:

In your initial post, answer these questions:
1. Does the pump keep shutting off before your tank is full?
2. Has the pump kept going after it should've shut off by itself (thus running fuel onto your pass. rear tire and the ground)?
3. Do you always fill up at the same pump/station or at many different stations?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this same problem about 2 years ago when it was FREEZING out, so standing there having to hold the lever on the pump a certain way in 20 degree weather just to get some gas in the tank was not fun. I used to have to put the nozzle halfway in instead of all the way in and lightly push down on the lever (which in turn makes the gas pump into the car extremely slow) instead of locking it and walking away from the pump like normal. If I tried to do it like normal, the pump would stop every 10 cents like the tank was full, just like you mentioned above.
For me, it ended up being the N-80 purge valve. I remember trying a bunch of things and that valve was the last thing I changed and it solved the issue. I remember reading a few threads on audizine about it! Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
The N80 couldn't cause this issue, what else did you do at that time ?
When filling the tank the engine should not be running and the N80 should be closed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts