Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know this has been covered before but I've got a compounded problem. Coming back from holiday all was fine......in a real rainstorm then suddenly ALL heating was lost......only cold air. To cut long story short. Everything else on the car is fine. Local Auto Electrician ran a diagnostic which showed FIVE fault codes:a/C Pressure switch / footwell defroster flap positioning motor / positioning motor for temperature flap / Air flow flap positioning motor / Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus. I know these can go wrong but ALL together and ALL at the same time? Could it possibly be the climatronic unit itself sending out "duff" info.? I've been told the horror stories regarding costs etc but otherwise this car is great - the best I've ever had and I've had this one almost 15 years now so would be really sad to see it go to scrap for such an apparent / trivial yet crucial malfunction. Anyone help? I've located a second hand climatic unit so I'm gonna at least try changing that. By the way I wish I'd know earlier of the simple two-button self diagnostic on the climatronic.....it showed the same results as my "auto-electrician" expert......and he charged me £40 for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a wee note of advice guys.......NEVER take the word of so-called professionals. I took my car to a local "regarded" auto-electrician. They diagnosed all of the faults which I had already diagnosed myself on the Climatronic auto-diagnosis. They charged me £40. The auto-electrician said - Dash out in it's entirety then changing all the various flaps and controls etc., reinstalling dash. Probably two-days work. Ranging from £450 - £550 labour alone plus of course the parts. Not understanding why all these "flaps-controls" had stopped working together at the same time ? I sat down for a few minutes and thought ---- "what if it is the climatronc unit itself??? " Located several second hand units - same part number is my one - (VW Dealership £600.0) on Ebay ranging £10 - £40. I thought why not take the chance. Purchased the £10.00 Ebay one......it arrived this morning. Removed old unit, installed new one - probably 15 minutes EASY PEASEY even to a numbskull - and everything like toast....heat again!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,285 Posts
Holy Crap! CHarging £550 labour alone that's crazy. It's like a month salary in England. But I'm not surprised as once I ate a dish of ordinary dinner in Piccadilly Circus and the guy charged me £110. England is a super expensive place so yeah they charge these kindda prices. Like Canada that they charge everything 3 to 4 times more than U.S. for almost everything.

Glad it worked out for you. Great that you took the chance and did the repair yourself. That's most of us do too in this forum. But sometimes going to a shop is inevitable. But even then you gotta shop around and bargain as you can. (y)

P.S. for a fraction of second I read the word "regarded" as "retarded" LOL :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were probably correct in the word "regarded / retarded" it is just a shocking disgrace this kind of thing is allowed to happen in these days. I just try to imagine some retired couple trying to keep things together with their wee pride and joy (car) being told this kind of nonsense. What do they do......sit and cry for a few minutes then say oh well "we need heat in our car" so carry on please with your expensive repair and we will just have to pay it and do without food for the next month or say. Our World nowadays is a disgrace. No-one is prepared to help without presenting monstrous fees / bills. I am gonna take great delight on Monday telling the auto electrical company what had happened.

·
2,285 Posts
No-one is prepared to help without presenting monstrous fees / bills.
Well, this is a universally practiced concept to rip off those who are in need and don't have other alternatives.
There are 3 groups that take advantage/abuse of this concept: Dentist, Mechanics, Lawyers.

Often when I go the mechanics shops and they quickly notice I'm somewhat familiar with repairs they don't even take the jo because they know they won't be able to rip me off. But as you said, there are plenty of people around (perhaps close to 99% of population) that are not able or willing to repair their cars themselves. That's when the abuse concept kicks in. Yes it's a sick world. I'm old enough to remember the good old days. Used to be different. I pity the new generations and the world they will live in.

P.S. if I were you I wouldn't tell the retarded guy that you fixed the thing yourself. Don't burn the bridge behind you. You never know if in the future you may need him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Emry - yes I take your point about "not telling the guy" but I feel he should be "politely" informed so he may have the knowledge to be able to fix for the next poor unfortunate who may arrive on his premises with a similar problem........ OR - mebe he knew there was a possible easy solution (like i found) and saw an "opportunity".......or am I just being cynical. Having said that the guy did say that he felt the cost of repair may be more than the car was worth!!!!!

·
2,285 Posts
OR - mebe he knew there was a possible easy solution (like i found) and saw an "opportunity"...
I suspect that was the case. Nevertheless you are saved now. You can clone this experience next time around.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Just a wee note of advice guys.......NEVER take the word of so-called professionals. I took my car to a local "regarded" auto-electrician. They diagnosed all of the faults which I had already diagnosed myself on the Climatronic auto-diagnosis. They charged me £40. The auto-electrician said - Dash out in it's entirety then changing all the various flaps and controls etc., reinstalling dash. Probably two-days work. Ranging from £450 - £550 labour alone plus of course the parts. Not understanding why all these "flaps-controls" had stopped working together at the same time ? I sat down for a few minutes and thought ---- "what if it is the climatronc unit itself??? " Located several second hand units - same part number is my one - (VW Dealership £600.0) on Ebay ranging £10 - £40. I thought why not take the chance. Purchased the £10.00 Ebay one......it arrived this morning. Removed old unit, installed new one - probably 15 minutes EASY PEASEY even to a numbskull - and everything like toast....heat again!
Got to love that. I came into that dilemma a few times before and after the crazy quotes and some thinking, got to do my own fixes in less time then quoted and usually at about 75 to 90% savings... Great job on the intuition and the fix!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts