Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer says I need a new instrument cluster. WTF? I took the car in because the "Brake" light is staying on and ther "ABS" light is flashing. Its not all the time. They turn of and on at random. I would believe them however, you would think other things would be going haywire as well.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I had a problem wiht my instrument cluster one winter. I went to my car and all the LCD's for the mileage etc were scrambled. So i started it up and none of the gauges moved and all the dummy lights stayed lit. I started to drive and 1 mile down the road all the gauges came back but from then on the airbag light would stay on and immobilizer activated would come up on my MFD everytime i started the car. My dealer thought at first maybe my whole cluster went bad but they found that it was just a loose wiring harness that got moisture inside which corroded a few pins. A quick cleaning of those pins fixed the prob but labor was $130 for taking the dash apart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine went bad a week or two ago. There's a post about it that no one responded to somehwere in the archives. Both my LCD"s go out at 3000-3500 rpm and stay out until the car is restarted. Many people have had cluster troubles, could be contacts as stated above or possibly bad grounds as well. I'll keep you posted if i find anyhting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.