Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
The rust eating into the outer edge of the rotor will make odd grinding sounds when braking. I had the same issue with my son's car after he lived in Pittsburgh for a couple of years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for the replies everyone! You've given me a lot to think about.

Do you feel any vibrations in the brake pedal or steering wheel when applying the brakes?
No, I haven't noticed any vibrations in either the brake pedal or the steering wheel. I'll try to test some more tomorrow and pay extra attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I recorded a brief video when on my way back from the store today. I reach 110 kph and can hear no unusual sounds.

I tried to pay attention when driving and I didn't feel any unusual vibrations in either the brake pedal or steering wheel when braking. I did however notice that when braking at slow speed the car does jerk in sync with the sound (felt it with my butt :)).

We've also ordered new TRW brand calipers which we hope will fix the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update:

The calipers arrived a few days ago and I went to the mechanic with them. He had some trouble removing the front right one (where the noise was coming from) because the bolts didn't want to turn, but he managed in the end. The new ones have been in for two days now and everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I try to post updates (even if I'm sometimes a bit late with them ;P) in the hope that it might help someone else. :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts