Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! my name is Max, i'm from Portugal (Lisbon) and i found this forum about the VW Passat, witch is my car from 1 year ago (I have a Passat Variant 1.9 Tdi 130 cv - 2003). Well, as you wil notest, my english it's not very good, so sometime i may write something wrong!
I have a problem, but i don't know if it have sometihing to do with the front suspension...
Some time ago it start to make a huge noise (sounds like if it's breaking something!) in front (near the wheels) when the car is in slow motion (1st or reverse), like parking or doing some slow but incident movements like twisting the direction.
A friend of mine, who runs a local garage, said the problem was whith the (i'm making a translate of the portuguese word's!?) "vane/fan belt strain/tension/turn buckle". I don´t know if you will understand but i gave a try!
Can you help me?
Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Does it only happen when you turn the steering wheel?

If it sounds like it is coming from behind one of your wheels then it could be a control arm, probably one of the lower ones (there are 2 lower and 2 upper on each side). They are a known weakness. The bushes split on them. Grease comes out and dirt goes in.
Sounds like an old creaking door in an old house etc.
Usually worse when you turn your steering wheel when going very slow or when not moving. Sounds terrible :)

If it sounds more like it is coming from under the bonnet then then it might be a belt slipping - power steering belt maybe?
(may sound more like someone screaming/screeching)

maybe power steering belt = vane/fan belt strain/tension/turn buckle??? :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts