Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started noticing a wierd clicking noise coming from the right rear wheel 2 days ago. For comparison, it sounds similar to the clicking from a bad CV, but lower pitch. It only occurs when in a tight left turn. I checked the lug torque...OK. Took the wheel off, and didnt notice any lose brake or suspension components.

Then I think it could be a bad wheel bearing. But, after looking behind the wheel again, I see that the tire is rubbing! The car is not lowered _yet_... I planned on doing that next week. The contact point is the inside part of the tire, upper rear section. (With the wheel rotating forward, it is the upward moving part, about from the 9 to 12 o clock area).

I just put 17" wheels on. Obviously, I didnt have this problem with the 15" Wellingtons. The tire size is 235/45. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Nick

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
What's the offset of your 17" wheel, if it's off, you might be rubbing inside....

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
There's some variation in offset from B5 to B5.5....

B5 is a 45mm offset, B5.5 is 37 (or 38 IIRC), so it's very possible that it's off enough to rub... at least the difference is in the right direction. Also could be the 135 part of the tire equasion. I had problems up from on my 17's running 235... a bit of lip rub... but 225's tuck perfect, so that extra centimeter could be doing it too (based on the offset of the 17" Audi rim.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quality_sound said:
That's your problem. I believe the Audis use an offset of 20 and VW uses a 35 offset. Just get some spacers and longer studs.

Paul :thumbup:

Where is a good place to get spacers from? Tire rack? And what size? Anyone have part numbers by chance? I have seen other people run these wheels on a Passat before and noone has mentioned offset problems. Hmm

Nick

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it's actually only rubbing at the 9 o'clock position, maybe slightly higher. I looked at the wheel from the inside (looking from the left side of the car underneath) and I can see what looks like some shiny metal pokin around from behind the wheel well. I assume that this is part of the fuel tank filler recall thingy that was installed a few weeks ago. Of course, the old wheels were on the car then, and I didn't pay close attention. Has anyone had this cause problems for them?

Like you said Paul, spacers might be the way to go though.

Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts