Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I just changed my timing belt this past weekend and now I have a new noise. I posted earlier but now I have more details... here's the scoop.

1. Only happens at right around 2000 RPMs
2. Only happens when moving, if I rev in neutral at 2000, I don't hear it.
3. It is a dull, quiet groan that decreases in pitch as the revs rise past 2000.
4. It appears to be coming from the driver's side front end of the car
5. It does it most noticable in 2nd and 3rd gear but I have heard it in first
6. Doesn't matter if car is cold or warm.

So I'm stumped. I have no idea what it could be but it is definitely new since the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, vacuum hoses, DV valve and all other belts were changed. In fact it started happening immediately after I finished those repairs. So I'm thinking it has to be something I added on.

I've checked the viscous fan, not out of balance, and the belts and pulleys all look good. It is very wierd that it doesn't do it when you are just revving the engine but only when you are moving...

Help!!!

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Does it sound like its from the suspension, or engine compartment? I had groans from my stearing fluids being so low. Filled it up and it went away.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell where it's coming from, but I will check the PS fluid tomorrow morning. Crossing my fingers that that is all it is. Just can't believe that this noise happened immediately after the repairs.

-Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi i've had that problem in the past on my second car, after changing the timing belt,some garages tighten the timing to much because it loosens a bit after the first 1000 miles.That sound should be gone soon.

thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I know was the belt was tight as heck after I put it on. I pulled the tensioner pin and it did nothing, the belt didn't move it was THAT tight! So I'm hoping you are right that the sound will go away. I've only got about 250 miles on it thus far so hopefully thats it.

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
its the DV, trust me.

you probably never noticed it before, thats all.

1. Only happens at right around 2000 RPMs
2. Only happens when moving, if I rev in neutral at 2000, I don't hear it.
3. It is a dull, quiet groan that decreases in pitch as the revs rise past 2000.
4. It appears to be coming from the driver's side front end of the car
5. It does it most noticable in 2nd and 3rd gear but I have heard it in first
6. Doesn't matter if car is cold or warm.

those are all symptoms of what the DV does, BUT....... if the groam is too loud or theere is too much vibration then the DV is going bad and time for a new one.

when driving(criusing) step on the gas (not all the way down)for about 3seconds then let go of the gas completly and you should hear it( i think thats how it goes :crazy: ) anyway ............

believe me its the DV :thumbup:

laters.......

Alfredo

·
Registered
352 Posts
its okay, its going to make that hhuuummmm noise, even if its brand new. mine makes that noise and its only about 2 months old.

i've noticed i can hear it more when driving with the triptronic and only reving it up till bout 3k rpm> but it normal.

its not going to make that noise when the car is parked and you are just reving it, you have to be in motion since thats the ONLY time when the DV works, and like you said it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold, the DV doesnt care. :p

i think the reason its only more noticable in lowere rpm/velocity is that the DV opens up slower, therefore causing the slight vibration(and thats what we hear)

hope this helps clear up your concern

ALfredo

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alfredo,

thanks man, here's my plan. I'm going to try swapping the old original DV back in and see if the sound disappears... That would definitely give me some peace of mind because the sound is driving me nuts, I'm paranoid I broke something.

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
its not going to make that noise when the car is parked and you are just reving it, you have to be in motion since thats the ONLY time when the DV works, and like you said it doesnt matter if the car is hot or cold, the DV doesnt care.
That it's soooo not true ,, the DV is driven by a vaccum hose , everytime you hit the gas , no matter if the car i's parked or moving or on free falling the DV WILL CLOSE .

the only diference is that you can't make a lot of boost if you are not moving cause the exhaust gas when in neutral it's not enought to spool the turbo properly
( It wont hold pressure )

Fabio

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heh, I agree with you Fabio, I thought that statement sounded odd because I could not recreate the sound at idle just revving the engine.

Here's the update to my problem. Someone mentioned the sound may go away after 1000 miles with new TB. Well I've got about 700 miles on it now and the sound has virtually disappeared. I think the belt has stretched enough now to cause the sound to disappear. I occasionally here it but it is much weaker and shorter.

Thanks for the help guys,
-Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.