Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car - '98 B5 1.8t manual

The problem - Turn signals don't work, headlights dont work, Fan/AC doesn't turn on and the wipers don't work.

This all started when I came out from work today. A couple of strange things to note, last night, all of these items worked. Additionally, all gauges on the dash work, radio works, hazzards work (rules out a problem at the bulbs) and the high beams work if I pull back on the signal arm.

What I've done so far - Looked at all fuses associated with the affected parts as well as I disconected the battery. I thought that I could reset the electical that way.

Any thoughts or ideas? It is confusing me as some items work and others don't and it would seem that they might share the same wiring.

I have seen information on 'in-line' fuses. Could this be the issue?

Let me know if additional info is needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actaully received a post on car talk and the thought was the ignition switch. Is this the same diagnosis? If not, which is the easier fix to to tackle first?

If it is a relay and different than the ignition switch, what is the fix for this? Is this something a weekend warrior can tackle?

·
Registered
272 Posts
it "is" possible the ign switch is failing...
it runs power for All the things you
described. maybee pull off the steering
column cowl? you can probe the power
wires in the switch for problems using the
bently? dunnow, wait, isnt there an electrical
schematic some nice person posted up
on the board? i have it on my pc?
shoot me yer email, or someone can
find the link? :bow:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your insight. I tend to think that the issue is with the ignition switch as all of the items that don't work are those things that turn off when the key is turned to position three when starting the car(per the owners manual). I'm thinking that something may be worn out and not making contact as if you were starting the car.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
All those things are load reduction relay things. Might check there, too. Yes, the ignition switch could be bad. Check voltage at the switched power terminal on the fuse block. If it is less than 12V at key on, then your ignition switch is a good place to start. :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in march. Same exact thing. Here's the homework done for you. I took it to the stealer and it cost me $402.77 to get fixed (w/ the tax in Fl).
Now on the invoice I got 2 things and one of them is listed as "bolt" so I don't remember if it was also related to the same problem or if it was something else and I gave 'em the go to do it since they were at it.

part #/description - 8D0-601-139-F003 BOLT
list - $17.89

part #/description - 021-905-106 TRANSFORMR
list - $360.30

Now since there's no labor charged on it I'm thinking it's something that's just easy to bolt on and off (The CCM and maybe that's where the first item came from).
Trust me, the same thing happened to me, I've posted before here on somebody else's thread, if only I could find it... :mad:

I can fax the invoice to you if you have a fax machine. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.