Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a StopTech reseller and received some encouraging words in yesterdays email newsletter!

They are starting to look at the R32 and W8 for potential big brake kits and want input from owners out there looking for more braking power. I have been bugging them non-stop since before I purchased the car and hopefully have been wearing them down, but need to hear from folks that are at least remotely interested in a BBK in the future.

Please chime in if that interests you and hopefully we can persuade them to hook us up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,555 Posts



Whaaaaaaaaat!!!!

It wasn't long ago that Stoptech didn't take W8 owners seriously enough to even consider a brake-upgrade.

In the words of my main man Rich, " You gotta be jivin' me @#&#()#_!!! Ain't that a #@#$# *&^^%## with some #^$*(($ on the side!! " :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Does StopTech already have a BBK for the B5 Audi S4? From my understanding, that's all that the W8 brakes are...

Andy
you are correct except for the back space in the rotor hats, meaning the S4 BBK will not fit our cars :mad:

if the rotors were two piece, all they would need to do is replace the hat and maybe the caliper carier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeffsu350 said:
if the rotors were two piece, all they would need to do is replace the hat and maybe the caliper carier
They are two-piece. Hopefully, they will only need the car for a short time to measure the difference in hat height. Theoretically, they could lay an S4 and W8 rotor side by side and get the nubmers that way...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
It's going to take a lot more than comparing the S4 and W8 stock rotors to make a big brake kit. StopTech engineers each kit with specific caliper piston sizing to provide the proper balance to work with the factory rear brakes. This is not simply a spreadsheet exercise. Each platform is carefully tested on the track with a range of caliper sizes in order to minimize stopping distance and verify compatibility with ABS and dynamic stability control systems. To get some idea of how much work is involved, you can check out my diary of the test day for the Nissan 350Z kit: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David,

Please don't take my reply as an indication that StopTech can just slap a kit together and ship it with no worries.

I was merely suggesting that they are physically very similar. The two cars mentioned are very close in weight but would still need full testing before release. The valving and pressure would still have to be calculated precisely, in addition to the other tests they perform.

Great write-up, btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,154 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
It's going to take a lot more than comparing the S4 and W8 stock rotors to make a big brake kit. StopTech engineers each kit with specific caliper piston sizing to provide the proper balance to work with the factory rear brakes. This is not simply a spreadsheet exercise. Each platform is carefully tested on the track with a range of caliper sizes in order to minimize stopping distance and verify compatibility with ABS and dynamic stability control systems. To get some idea of how much work is involved, you can check out my diary of the test day for the Nissan 350Z kit: http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm
:shock: ... for a noob you seem to know lots about brake :wink: . Welcome aboard, hope you stay around and offer your expertise to our forum.

btw, excellent write up :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Dave, it's good to see you on this forum!

:thumbup:


Guys, don't sleep! Remember when we lined up rides in the Torrence, CA area for Stoptech to do testing and they kicked us to the curb. Hopefully this is a solid first step to improve braking on the W8 and R32. Now if we could only get GIAC to jump in on an ECU upgrade!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Swami,

I'm feeling your pain on the GIAC issue. Keep offering my car to them and they keep coming up with excuses...

Sad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,143 Posts
gezuvor said:
Swami,

I'm feeling your pain on the GIAC issue. Keep offering my car to them and they keep coming up with excuses...

Sad...
Just get the Wetterauer chip.. Two months and I have nothing but praise for it. PES handed me a load of bullshit on the GIAC chip.. Anyone ever see The Money Pit ? The contractors with their "Two weeks !! response to Tom Hanks every time he asked for a completion date... :thumbdow: :thumbdow: to PES & GIAC...

As for the BBK... Do you have to ask ?!?!?! They should clear my 18" BBS RE's with room to spare... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I know the feeling on GIAC. I got the Money Pit answer from them as well. Great movie, btw.

Owner of the most hated car on the forum nice... :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Rich, you know I'd be interested in a StopTech BBK, though I'd like to see them work with a 17" wheel fitment. BTW, I thought the factory R32 brakes were garnering lots of kudos.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top