Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well winter's back in my part of the world and that means getting shocked everytime you get out of the car. Does anyone have a solutution for this? I've seen some anti-static sprays. Are they any good? How long do they last?

TIA

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm right there with you. Doesn't seem to matter what time of year for me though. My car always shocks me. Some sort of static guard spray might help temporarily, but I'm sure we're both looking for a more permanent solution.

I'd love for there to be a way to ground the driver's seat, but how in the world do you ground fabric??? Anybody come up with a fix for this annoying problem?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
I uses the spray on static guard.
Works well for me.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd love for there to be a way to ground the driver's seat, but how in the world do you ground fabric??? Anybody come up with a fix for this annoying problem?
There is such a thing as static dissapative fabric that you could effectively ground, but it is definitely not what they chose to put in my truck!

My first car had so much metal in it (even the dash) that I never recall getting a shock, but in modern cars, almost everything on the interior is plastic so you can build up a wallop by the time you get to the outter door. Heck on some cars those are plasic too.

·
is a sweetheart
3,056 Posts
Simple: Touch the frame of your door as you get out so you remain grounded. It always works, no installation required, and it's free. :)
Many years ago I had a full size Bronco and would nearly get electrocuted every time I got out of it. Then I noticed that there was an exposed screw head in the door handle. When pushing the door open and sliding off the seat, I would place a finger on top of the screw head and viola, no more shocks.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simple: Touch the frame of your door as you get out so you remain grounded. It always works, no installation required, and it's free. :)
The frame of the door is the problem. I can throw quite a spark off of it.

I really don't have any exposed and grounded metal in the cab. I think I'll try the spray and see how that works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts