Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
think about the $$$ they'd generate with a red-light camera too. too many people run red lights these days...i'm starting to think that CT drivers either never learned that red means stop or they're all color blind.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i'm starting to think that CT drivers either never learned that red means stop or they're all color blind.
Hey :suspicio: , I will give you that some CT drivers are like that but not all. I think there are quite a few crazy drivers sprinkled in each state, sometimes you just encounter more of them than others.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What if there's an emergency vehicle coming down the street, and it slows it down by turning red, and other cars are going already...

What if there's a highspeed chase and it turns red, and other cars go, and there is a deadly accident?

Doesn't it also mean I'm punished when a speeder turns the light red, and I'm behind him going at a leisurely pace?

There's + and -'s to everything.

The + is that speeders won't cause accidents, it'll just piss them off more that they got stopped, and cause road rage that will fuel them in getting out of their car to kick your ass when you drive the speed limit. Not only that but for me, stopping at almost every light when I'm driving normally causes me STRESS.

Their purpose of doing this is to slow down speeders.

Their thought in this should be what they can do to prevent and lower the accident rate.
I think for the money they spent, they won't be preventing or lowering much at all per the cost.

My point is in California, GAS ain't cheap, and I shouldn't have to waste my gas when speeders make me stop at a light and wait when I don't have to.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
They did this very thing on Ohio River Boulevard outside of Pittsburgh. If you run at exactly the speed limit or slightly below, the lights stay green. Go too fast, and every light turns red.

What's funny is following someone how doesn't know the system... a guy will jackrabbit from the first light, I'll build up speed to the limit. Next light, he's sitting there and it turns green as I approach; repeat this eight or ten times. I gotta figure I'm getting at least twice the MPG's that the hotfoot is getting.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
If there's any pedestrian traffic at that intersection, they're just askingfor trouble... allowing a 'quick red light in only one direction.

... this is getting rediculous. Criminalizing the once legal. Next time you get pulled over for a seatbelt ask the cop on the motorcycle where his is :roll:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
there's one in Alexandria set at 25. exceed 25 and you trip it. do 40 and you pass through as it turns yellow. counter productive.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
this is a great idea, in fact I'll take it a step further ,and have it swing a huge blade down that cuts any car in half that tries to run the light. :mad: :evil: :lol:

and next install a sensor that won't give the green light to any car in a turn lane thats not giving a turn signal. :D

I could do this all day. :lol:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimbob said:
this is a great idea, in fact I'll take it a step further ,and have it swing a huge blade down that cuts any car in half that tries to run the light. :mad: :evil: :lol:

and next install a sensor that won't give the green light to any car in a turn lane thats not giving a turn signal. :D

I could do this all day. :lol:
Ouch!!! :p Feelin no love...........hehehehe

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Does the system time the yellow light so the speeder has time to stop? Faster speeding requires more yellow time. What if the light switches fast enough so the cross traffic gets the green light just as the speeder enters the intersection? Or, what if the system notices that the speeder is not braking or is even speeding up? The system *knows* the speeder is going to enter the intersection, yet it gives the cross traffic the green light anyway? That's one hell of a lawsuit.

·
Registered
750 Posts
FORIAMBILL said:
there's one in Alexandria set at 25. exceed 25 and you trip it. do 40 and you pass through as it turns yellow. counter productive.
I've seen some regular old low-tech stop lights that are synchronized so that they always change in the same order and they're timed (poorly?) so that you have to stop at all of them (3 and sometimes the 4th) unless you jackrabbit out of the first one and speed by about 5mph. Saves several minutes on the morning commute for those willing to speed by 5 mph and risk getting a ticket for accelerating too quickly (reckless?).

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
pete1 said:
Does the system time the yellow light so the speeder has time to stop? Faster speeding requires more yellow time. What if the light switches fast enough so the cross traffic gets the green light just as the speeder enters the intersection? Or, what if the system notices that the speeder is not braking or is even speeding up? The system *knows* the speeder is going to enter the intersection, yet it gives the cross traffic the green light anyway? That's one hell of a lawsuit.
The one I'm talking about has a sensor in the roadbed quite a bit before the actual intersection. It seems to work pretty well, goes yellow and then red before the car actually hits the intersection. I never watched the cross traffic lights...so I don't know if it holds them with a longer red to prevent an accident.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
ROXYB5 said:
i'm starting to think that CT drivers either never learned that red means stop or they're all color blind.
Hey :suspicio: , I will give you that some CT drivers are like that but not all. I think there are quite a few crazy drivers sprinkled in each state, sometimes you just encounter more of them than others.
Connecticut drivers are awful!!!! 3 people through every red light, sit in the left lane going below the speed limit, if you are in an SUV you have the right of way. I hate driving around here.

·
Registered
372 Posts
What about anybody driving in a major city in MA? Green light means go, yellow means speed up fast, and red means you didn't go fast enough so you better not stop. This just adds to the fun here - light turns green on your side, count to about 10, then go.

Mike

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I used to work as a delivery driver in that area. It's rediculous how speeding could be concern, considering the vast majority of the ppl in that area all drive well under speed limit anyhow. Considering the # of stop signs, blind corners, and traffic on vineyard, it's diff to undertand how 'speeding' could be an issue in the first place. T

he whole time I worked down there, I was prob the only person who drove 10mph above the limit. As if it's not bad enough, they want to do this nonsense to make the traffic go even slower (ppl will get even more nervous or reaching the limit and drive even slower). Thank goodness I moved to Los Angeles! NorCal sucks! I only hope the rediculous system stays down there.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
just drive backwards thru it.

that kind of taunting may confuse it.

heh.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
FORIAMBILL said:
Sounds about right. If it's timed for 25, it's timed for 50 too!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
man that is BS :suspicio:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
lol. So if I go 120 mph, maybe I can catch the yellow before it hits red. :lol:

What a fabulous way to make traffic worse than it already is. The EPA is gonna be mad at the extra emissions... :mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts