Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 1.8T (chipped) started beeping and said STOP! in big letters and told me to check coolant, the temp gauge was maxed out.
I pulled right over and all of a sudden the temp went right back to 190 which was odd because normally it takes a while to cool a car of at a dead stop without air blowing in.

So I figured maybe it was just a mistake, until the next day when it did it out of the blue, and the same the next day. It only does it once at a time and goes right back to 190 a few seconds later.

The car is still under B2B Warranty, the dealer can't take it until next week.

Anyone ever see a similiar problem?

Also, how do you get to the ECU in the 2003 B5.5 (I have to take my GIAC chip out)? I've read the FAQs, but they are for older B5s. I have a cover over the entire area, I do not have the screw under the windshield wiper, and it seems to use different screw points.
Anyone have any advice for getting the the ECU on a newer Passat?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
you need to remove the panel it comes off easily enough.
1. OPEN hood
2. Grab rubber seal mounted to front of cover and secondary firewall.
3. pull it towards the front of the car.
4. lift cover.
5. remove ecu and replace

Pete

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
APR also has a good acrobat file on removing the ECU - www.goapr.com.

For the temp gauge, you may have a break in the wire somewhere, when it's tweaked and open, the gauge would peg high, if it makes minimal connectivity, reads normal. Take a look for chafed wires, etc.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the chip out last night.
Green_Hornet said:
For the temp gauge, you may have a break in the wire somewhere, when it's tweaked and open, the gauge would peg high, if it makes minimal connectivity, reads normal. Take a look for chafed wires, etc.
I was hoping it was just an electrical problem, but it can't be. I've noticed that it overheats when I get on it hard, then goes back down to normal seconds after. It's happened everytime, even with the stock chip in there.

I just hope I'm not ruining my engine, this thing's gotta last me another 14 months before I turn it in and wipe my hands of VW altogether.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Maybe the temp sensor is dieing .. have you had the codes pulled?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jesstzn said:
Maybe the temp sensor is dieing .. have you had the codes pulled?
Nope, I'm still waiting to go to the dealer, they are booked. It's under B2B warranty so they'll take care of it, I just don't want to cause other problems in the meantime making me have to take it back to the dealer again for the 120th time.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow morning. I took the chip out, the car is fucking terrible.

To anyone thinking about chipping their 1.8T, DO IT.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Paradigm said:
So I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow morning. I took the chip out, the car is fucking terrible.

To anyone thinking about chipping their 1.8T, DO IT.
Come on bro, you gotta be kidding. There's countless numbers of B5ers and for that matter VW owners who have chipped their cars. Out of the thousands of cars that are manufactured, sometimes you get a dud. I've also had my issues with VW, but try working with your service advisors and ask questions. This forum is a Godsend for any Passat owner, so if there's any way we can help you just shout!

Maybe you should start looking for a good tuner in your area.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^ I think Paradigm's just talking about the difference between stock & chipped...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, The Swami, I was saying that the car now (with the stock chip) is horribly slow compared to a few days ago when the GIAC chip was still in it.

I didn't notice that big of a difference when I first had the chip installed, but now I can definitely see a difference.

So if you're still driving a stock 1.8T, GET IT CHIPPED!!! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same thing happen on my 99. Temp gage would peg and go back to 190, and I had a CEL. Went to the dealer, temperture sensor control module. $100 bucks parts and labor. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never got a CEL, maybe it's just different in the years.

I got the car back, it was the temp sender. They also did the rear brakes for $180. They said they had 2% life left, the fronts still have 70% is you believe that. I guess our cars are extremely rear biased.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^You don't need the pics. Pull the rubber trim at the firewall forward - the trim pinches the plastic cover to the firewall. (There's no adhesive, it just pinches together). The trim just flops loose across your engine while you're working. Pull forward on the plastic cover to expose the battery, brake fluid reservoir, air filter, and ECU box. Note where the plastic cover laps under the windshield trim, so you can put it back. All else is same as prev. writeup. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the chip out last week.

The main thing that was confusing me was that screw under the wiper, the plastic plug was so flush that I couldn't even see it! I figured they changed that too in my model year. But I got it all out.

Today my car overheated again, apparently the dealer didn't fix anything, good thing it's under B2B so I didn't pay anything or else I would be fucking pissed.
They say the car should be ready tomorrow, they are replacing the waterpump. I wonder how many thing they are going to break while doing this? Is it a lot of work to replace the waterpump?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
Paradigm
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing