Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have posting about my STOP Low oil pressure light coming on sporatically (sp?). The other day I was driving and it came on and stayed on. About five minutes later my engine starts ticking, MIL comes on and starts puttering. I pulled over. Brought my car to the shop.

Service guy tells me that my engine has zero compression and that none of cylinders are getting oil. Tells me that I may have some serious engine damage.

Well THANK GOD....it was the oil pump and there is no damage. He told me that my engine looks amazing considering that its a turbo with 94,000 miles on it and that there is no sludge.

So the lesson here is that when your car tells you to STOP please do so.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Hadn't you been asking the dealer about the STOP & oil light coming on since you got this car? Glad to hear at least you got it figured out finally.:)

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Good memory...believe me I was ready to fight like hell if they told me my engine was shot!!
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of it happening within your short, initial warranty but them never addressing it for you. So maybe they should be assisting you on the cost now. How many days/weeks after you bought it before the oil light came on and when did you ask them about it? As you saw, it's an intermittent warning, so it's not hard to have time pass and miles add up.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The few times I've gotten this light I've just put the car in neutral and shut the car off.
Err... shouldn't you figure out why it is going on in the first place, instead of just giving your car a rest each time?

SirWired

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Err... shouldn't you figure out why it is going on in the first place, instead of just giving your car a rest each time?

SirWired
Car is already getting rebuilt. Cyl 4 was egg shaped and the sump pump screen to the oil pump was somewhat blocked by sludge, not a good combo. All thanks to the abuse of the last owner:banghead:

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Car is already getting rebuilt. Cyl 4 was egg shaped and the sump pump screen to the oil pump was somewhat blocked by sludge, not a good combo. All thanks to the abuse of the last owner:banghead:
Egg-shaped? Ouch. Yeah, somebody needs a good whack on the head for treating their B5 that way before you could rescue that poor thing.

SirWired

·
Registered
64 Posts
Service guy tells me that my engine has zero compression and that none of cylinders are getting oil. Tells me that I may have some serious engine damage.

Well THANK GOD....it was the oil pump and there is no damage.
How did you go from zero compression to no damage? I thought no compression usually means rings or valves shot. Lack of oil to the cylinders shouldn't cause low compression should it?

Glad to here there was no damage just confused a bit. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts