Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning leaving my apartment my OBC gave me the "STOP" message along with a "check coolant" message. At the time I had just started the car so the temp wasn't up yet. I kept driving slowly to find a place to turnaround and after about a minute the message went away, so I kept driving. When the temp came up it was normal. I drove a couple of miles and turned the car off, and did not get the message when I started it again.

I haven't had a chance to check the coolant level yet (since I was late for work). Were the messages to signal that the levels are low, or is it reading a high temperature? I don't always know whether I can trust the temp gauge because it's been a little flaky since I bought the car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Your coolant level is most likely low. I had to add coolant several times.
I had a new water pump installed and no longer have to add coolant. Also, when your car is cold the coolant level is lower and when it warms up the level warning light will go out.

Tom

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
ms12339 said:
Your coolant level is most likely low. I had to add coolant several times.
I had a new water pump installed
same thing happened to me, except i was driving to meet my girl one nite, and its like "STOP" "PULL OVER" im like HUH?!?!?!
and i pop the hood, and the coolant was BOILING, literally.. i was like ok this aint good..
found out my water pump went..(so the boys at the stealership.. er i mean DEALERship told me..) :roll:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If it's cold out, the coolant contracts thus making it below the MIN mark (if the coolant is already somewhat low) so it will alert you to that. Top that sucker off!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seen the STOP/LOW COOLANT message once.

Was vacationing in Wisconsin, it was much colder there than back home, so drove the car all day and let it sit all night. In the morning, saw the message.

It is quite disconcerting to see STOP! in big red letters on your dash, but it doesn't distinguish between being a pint down (in my case) or being empty.

So you gotta check it out ASAP.

Maybe they should change the message depending how bad the situation is...

Level 1 - STOP! Low coolant.
Level 2 - HEY YOU BETTER STOP NOW! It's getting bad...
Level 3 - GET OUT OF THE CAR! IT'S ABOUT TO BLOW!
Red Alert - OK. I'M SERIOUS. DON'T STOP FIRST JUST GET OUT! I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE DOING 75 MPH!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maybe its time for new coolant. My Coolant light went on and started blinking only in cold weather. Changed coolant and the problem was solved so if its not low than the coolant has gone bad. :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. It turned out to be a defective coolant sensor. Make sure it's the coolant sensor and not anything mechanical. A nickel saved is a nickel earned. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts