Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Passat 1.8. My ABS and Traction light has recently come on and I do not know why. I took it to a local shop and their diagnostic machine read a code error of "B Positive Power Supply."

Does anyone have any suggestions or information that could help me? Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2000 Pasat V6 and have had the same STOP - Brake Failure ABS Light issue.

I took my caar to VW and they diagnosed it as being my ABS Control Module needs to be replaced, they said the electronics part of the module is not working.

Good thing I have a third-party warranty covering the entire bill, or else I would have had to pay about $1,500 to repair.

I've heard of lots of people having issues with the ABS Conrol Modules failing in these cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
is this a light that comes on and stays on?

i have a 1999 V6 Passat and every so often I get a "Stop" on the dashboard but no other indication to why I should stop its flickers on for about 3 secs and then is gone....

·
Registered
633 Posts
you could have a bad ABS module but we will need more info to correctly diagnose it. Look on here for the VAG-Com locater and have somebody hook up there laptop to get the codes. the ABS controller is expensive so it is best to make sure it is not one of the other components in the system first. good luck

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,162 Posts
If you guys do not get the module fixed or replaced soon, your car will not be able to communicate with any kind of a VAG-COM (dealership one, or small mechanic guy one) ever! So basically if there is anything else wrong with your car and you get a check engine light, you will not be able to hook up and VAG-COM and read the codes the computer has in memory at all, so you would not be able to diagnose any problems at all, you will end up with a broken car and will have no way of knowing how to fix it!

So get a new ABS module or fix yours soon!

·
Superhero
669 Posts
mrgreek2002 said:
If you guys do not get the module fixed or replaced soon, your car will not be able to communicate with any kind of a VAG-COM (dealership one, or small mechanic guy one) ever! So basically if there is anything else wrong with your car and you get a check engine light, you will not be able to hook up and VAG-COM and read the codes the computer has in memory at all, so you would not be able to diagnose any problems at all, you will end up with a broken car and will have no way of knowing how to fix it!

So get a new ABS module or fix yours soon!
Explain... :confused:
How is a bad ABS module going to keep me from reading codes?

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,162 Posts
At first everything will be normal, you will be able to hook up a VAG-COM and read the ECU and get codes and make changes, etc. But after about 8 months - a year, the ABS module will block all communications with the ECU, so if you hook up a VAG-COM again during that time, you will not be able to read the ECU or make any changes to it or get any fault codes it has stored for you!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mrgreek is correct but because for most people the problem starts as intermittent it is possible to hook up the VAG-COM while it is working and read the codes. I forget the exact phrase but it will give you an error code of something like "ABS controller intermittent signal". If you get that error code it seems like 95% of time you need to repair or get a new controller. It is also possible that you have a bad wheel speed sensor which would give you a different error code. I don't know why but if the ABS controller dies you can't communicate with the computer. good luck

·
Registered
352 Posts
my abs module has been bad for about a year now (50k miles or so..) and no problems here. the vag-com doesnt even see the abs-module.

doesnt the abs-module report to the ecu, then you read the codes from the ecu? just like the the rest of the sensor do??

this is just my case though, maybe i just been lucky??!!!!

Alfredo

but, FYI, theres a couple of module rebuilders that can fix your abs module for around 250 buck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This just happened to my wife's 98 1.8T. It was diagnosed to be a faulty ABS module. My shop (not a VW dealer) is searching for an used/rebuilt unit, but they are rare to find one quickly, apparently.

Another $1k on the car. Around $5k on repairs in the last 2 years.
I was going to chip this car when I inherit it from my wife, but maybe I will just let this one go before it hits 100k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get the Stop ABS fault. Mine only happens intermitently after a right hand turn. never left and never while braking straight (without turning). Any opinions (I have not hooked up to VAG-COM) on whether this is a wheels sensor or the more typical ABS module? At least the intermittent problem happens under a specific set of conditions. But I still need to get corrected.

8,183 Posts
I get the Stop ABS fault. Mine only happens intermitently after a right hand turn. never left and never while braking straight (without turning). Any opinions (I have not hooked up to VAG-COM) on whether this is a wheels sensor or the more typical ABS module? At least the intermittent problem happens under a specific set of conditions. But I still need to get corrected.
I would check your wheel sensor first.....on the drivers side for thats the side all the way out if your making a right hand turn. Mine did that for a few days and then cleaned the sensor and pushed it back all the way....never has come on after that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.