Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl lives in a basement and they had a breakin yesterday, They took her laptop and some other jewellry. Im glad she is safe. I know materila things can be replaced but life is more important.

Her laptop though, she just started paying it off and now these damn pricks have to steal it! They got thru a bathroom window :cry: NOw we are planning to put bars on the windows so she feels safe. Shes very afarid to go back to her place. I hope things get better.

Now question what are the things youd do if you have your laptop stolen? She already called her CC companies and put a hold on her account. I asked her to change the password on her online banking accounts, emails, etc.

We think the thieves also stole some of her bills. Will that pose a problem? What else do we need to worry about?

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
eeek how much info did she have on her laptop :/ ..i would also change any saved password like if she has a myspace, email account passwords. Pretty much just about any password. Also change her msn, aim, yahoo, etc... Cuz any saved info that was on her laptop they have access too although they probably are just going to reformat it but then again you never know.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
If you're really concerned call up one of the credit rating companies (experian, transunion, equifax) and put the account on fraud alert.

Was the machine password protected at login? If so, there's one layer of protection. If not, then were all of her accounts auto-login? I doubt anything in terms of banking was. Most likely she would still need to enter in a password even though her account login name/account was auto-filled in (with cookies). I know things like AIM/MSN/Yahoo messengers store the account name and password but the passwords tend to always be masked (using ****'s).

My guess is that the laptop would be used to simply sell as a shell. Somebody might try to see what they can get but most likely the HD will be wiped out and somehow sold for cash.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
As an aside, my girlfriend has recently had the following occur:
- Boston Globe affiliate mistakenly released account information by wrapping the delivered newspapers in pieces of paper containing that account info
- Wallet stolen at work in NYC, 2 credit cards already used to buy over $600 in merchandise at Foot Locker
- Ernst & Young laptop containing her tax return information and social security number was stolen from E&Y employee's vehicle.

She's a friggin mess with all this stuff. She was offered a free one year credit monitoring program through the Boston Globe snafu and will probably need to add the fraud alert to her profile for safety. It will be a little bit more of a hassle when requesting new credit accounts but it should be good long-term for credit safety.

Oh, and she knocked her laptop off a table and it destroyed the harddrive which is non-recoverable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts