Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 16 passat. The 1.8 for almost a year now and curious how much boost the stock turbo can handle without upgrading any of the internals. I've put on a 3" catless downpipe but not sure if that would be restricting if I increased the boost on the stock turbo. Also want to know how to increase the boost what I need. Thanks

· Registered
12 Posts
Disclaimer: Just started doing research so please double check any information.

That being said, we have the Garret MGT1446S turbo. My understanding is that it's only good for 225HP until you will start seeing premature wear. A good tune will probably change those numbers to the right a little bit. I believe you can get around 19 to 20 PSI, but again you're risking your turbo if you have a heavy foot.
What tune are you running with the downpipe? Downpipes really free up the exhaust side and will most likely result in an overboost situation like I was describing. The really best bet I believe would be the one of the CTS boss turbo upgrades. You will need to upgrade the intercooler, intake, and possibly fuel system depending on far you want to go.
The simplest way to increase the boost would be with a piggy back. I have the Race Chips and really like it. With the Injen CAI it sounds great and pulls much better. Hope all this helps.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no tune on it currently but I'm looking at the jb4 tuner for it. What kind of race chip do you have? I currently have the cts turbo cold air intake cts turbo catless downpipe and apr coil packs.

· Registered
12 Posts
I have the race chips GTS. With the DP I think you need to look into a stage 2. I heard the check engine light will come on for low catylyst without the tune, but without a cat you must have an O2 delete. I personally didn't get the JB4 because you have to splice into one of the harnesses and this just sounds bad for reliablity as the car ages.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the race chips GTS. With the DP I think you need to look into a stage 2. I heard the check engine light will come on for low catylyst without the tune, but without a cat you must have an O2 delete. I personally didn't get the JB4 because you have to splice into one of the harnesses and this just sounds bad for reliablity as the car ages.
Stage 2 race chip? I have a mini 02 sensor defouler to keep that check engine light from being thrown

· Registered
12 Posts
Race Chip is a piggy back like the Neuspeed. Jb4 is a piggy with a little more control. You an ecu tune like APR or Integrated Engineering. You're looking at 50 to 60 hp claimed with what you have and a stage 2. However, you're going to burn up your turbo early if you have a heavy foot. Plus with all that torque, watch your tires, lol.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,032 Posts
Race Chip is a piggy back like the Neuspeed. Jb4 is a piggy with a little more control. You an ecu tune like APR or Integrated Engineering. You're looking at 50 to 60 hp claimed with what you have and a stage 2. However, you're going to burn up your turbo early if you have a heavy foot. Plus with all that torque, watch your tires, lol.
Maybe they got a little less robust in the newer engines? At least the older B5/B5.5 turbos, there never was any issue with premature failure that was common. I mean, I beat on mine every time I drive with an APR93 tune and its just as eager and happy at 178K as it was at 78k.

Reactions: lreven2

· Registered
12 Posts
Maybe they got a little less robust in the newer engines? At least the older B5/B5.5 turbos, there never was any issue with premature failure that was common. I mean, I beat on mine every time I drive with an APR93 tune and its just as eager and happy at 178K as it was at 78k.
Different turbos I believe. I've heard the older engines are somewhat better in tuning aspect. There's a chart I've seen that says the turbos on the newer 1.8t is good up to 225hp tuned. It's probably like any other aspect. Manufacturing flaws really show up once you start adding extras.
Impressive that your test far up in miles and still going strong. What else are you running? I'm still jaded with down pipes because of my CC when I had her. Everyone that had a dp would smoke their clutches within 20k with the extra power, so I'm still skeptical, but looks like the B7 can handle a lot of extra power, as long as you understand that the turbo will burn up eventually.
Had the same problem with my Mazdaspeed6. That had a K03 already being pushed close to the limits stock. Miss that car though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts