Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I upgraded my HU and blew a lower door speaker on my B5. What are the size of the [bigger not small tweeter] speakers??

I am an idiot when it comes to ICE, so any suggestions on replacements, etc, would be most welcome. I would like to upgrade, but am under a serious budget. A buddy suggested ubid.com, but I need to know what size to look for there first before buying.

TIA!
Winston

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No and yes. I'll check Crutchfield. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
madigan said:
What's really tough is the depth - 1-7/16" to work with. :???: It's hard to find shallow speakers.
Good point, Mark, I hadn't thought of that. Have you changed yours Mr. DJ?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, Paul can you make any recommendations for me under $80 per pair?

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Whatever sounds good to you. Seriously. It sounds cliche, but it's true. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Just remember that if it's too bright in the board it's going to be WAY too bright in your car. The midbass resonse will be better in the car as well.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
coloradob5 said:
These are the ones that I found that seem to fit all of the requirements. Good price too. Anyone have any complaints about them?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u9uqLi9AKxY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=113KFC1679
Absolutely a no-go if you are still using your factory Monsoon Amp! The Monsoon website is currently down, but from what I remember the amp also acts as a crossover and the power is distributed differently between the front and rear speakers. You want to match the configuration as close as possible to the one VW installed in your car; (6.5 Mid-Bass Drivers, and quality 1" tweeters) A two-way or three-way speaker would sound terrible!! Before replacing all of my speakers with JLAudio XR650Csi's which sound awesome on the Monsoon Amp, I used Kicker R6C's. The Kickers sound much better than the stock VW speakers and work well with the Monsoon setup.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I didn't see him mention Monsoon, but if he has it, you're correct Swami. Another option would be to get a component set and not use the passive crossover that comes with the new speakers. Not ideal, but a good workaround for a Monsoon owner.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I do not have monsoon, although, I think my car now has just as much power with the MP3 HU as the monsoon, so obviously, I found the weakest link in my system...the speakers.

So are the factory speakers just midrange or are they two or three way? Since I already have the factory tweeters, should I go with something else from that perspective? I would like to add a sub and enclosure, but that is not high on my list of mods.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
The factory speakers are a component set with a mid at the bottom of the door and a tweeter at the top. If you're going to replace one, replace them as a set. You don't want to start mixing and matching.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
can you replace just the mid's, and use stock tweeters? Are the stock tweeters in the non-monsoon system trash?

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Why would you want to do that? And for the record, even the Monsoon tweeters are trash because they're exactly the same as the non-Monsoon tweeters. Just replace the speakers as a set. It will sound better and you'll be a lot happier. :poke:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Not likely since any set worth a crap will come as a pre-packaged set with mids, tweets and the accompanying passive crossovers. You may just want to hang onto the money for the mids and get the whole set when you were planning on getting the tweeters.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
cool, thanks for the advice. what does a crossover do? Where is Beale AFB? I'm originally from Palmdale, CA, but stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC. Where are you from originally?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
7 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing