Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that using your stock shocks with say neuspeed sport springs is a bad idea as it will wear them out much quicker right? and probably cause the ride to be a bit bumpy? but if it's for just s short period of time, say 2-3 months, would anyone do it?

I don't have the cash to buy shocks AND springs so I just got in on the group buy for some springs. And knowing me I don't think I can wait till I get shockls to install them so I was wondering what opinions anyone would have on that, good, bad?

Thanks guys,
Simon. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I would wait a couple of months until have the cash to get the shocks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm running H&R OE sports on stock shocks and I'd also recommend waiting to install them both at the same time. It's been about a year now and my shocks are pretty much shot.

You might be able to get away with it for a few months, but I wouldn't let it drag on any longer.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Using your stock shocks with aftermarket springs won't wear them out any faster. You can search for my username with this topic to see more on this. But the others here are very correct that you'll do the labor twice if you don't do shocks and springs together. If you're doing it yourself, this may be no big deal. but you definitely don't want to pay for the labor twice! And if you don't have an impact wrench then you won't want to have go through compressing the springs with a hand-operated wrench twice, either.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'm on the same setup you talking about, i didnt have the money to get shocks. I'll run the stock shocks untill they wearout. I say go for it if you are ready for a little bit bumpier ride! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ethan

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Msquared said:
Using your stock shocks with aftermarket springs won't wear them out any faster. You can search for my username with this topic to see more on this. But the others here are very correct that you'll do the labor twice if you don't do shocks and springs together. If you're doing it yourself, this may be no big deal. but you definitely don't want to pay for the labor twice! And if you don't have an impact wrench then you won't want to have go through compressing the springs with a hand-operated wrench twice, either.
I put on Eibach springs at 1000 miles, and just swapped out my stock shocks at 40k. They were shot. Whats the life of stock shocks?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Another CB5er had the OEs with stock Sachs and they were DESTROYED after 16k. I bought them off him when he went with the Pro-system and was going to install the springs with my shocks. Instead I saved up and waited about four months until the bilstein group buy was in full swing and got those. It is a lot better to do the job once, especially if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What if you get the vw oem springs? If you are still under warranty, are the springs and shocks covered if the dealer installs them?

I am in the same boat as most, not much green around :sad: I want to get new wheels first but the wheel gap with new wheels will kill me. So I could swing just wheels and springs.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The OE Sachs on my car were certainly done by 40k miles and that was always with the OE springs, too. IMO, the OE shocks are shot the day you leave the car lot with your new Passat (IOW, they suck from the start) but they finish dying by 40k-50k miles. RicRod, I'm not sure I understand your question, but shocks are really never under warranty as they are expected to wear out. I mean, if they blew up or showed obvious leaks while under the factory warranty maybe - that could be a defect. But just wearing out is not going to be covered.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I'd expect a car's shocks to last a lot longer than 50k miles. I know our suburban has stock shocks w/ over 100k and so did our saab w/ 70k. I just hear that stock shock tend to get "floaty" after a few thousand miles. I did both of mine at once just in case. Like everyone else says, do them at once if you aren't doing them yourself. Save the money.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My GLX's stock shocks sucked when they were new and are junk now at 25k miles. :puke:

They can't even dampen the stock springs. I can't imagine how bad they must be with sport springs.

I have a Neuspeed/Bilstein set up on my GTI, so I'm pretty spoiled. I would always recommend using good shocks with sport springs, like Bilstein or Koni.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Msquared said:
The OE Sachs on my car were certainly done by 40k miles and that was always with the OE springs, too. IMO, the OE shocks are shot the day you leave the car lot with your new Passat (IOW, they suck from the start) but they finish dying by 40k-50k miles. RicRod, I'm not sure I understand your question, but shocks are really never under warranty as they are expected to wear out. I mean, if they blew up or showed obvious leaks while under the factory warranty maybe - that could be a defect. But just wearing out is not going to be covered.
I am asking because some people have said that with new springs the stock shocks were dead in no time, like 8-10K miles. Shocks last longer than that. I know they are a wear and tear item, but does the vw new car warranty cover the short life? Has anyone tried their case with vw?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's not going to cover a short shock life, especially if you changed springs (even the over-the-counter VW lowering springs are aftermarket as far as they're concerned). Most people put 20k-30k miles on their cars and then swap springs. The shocks would be worn out in another 10k miles whether or not they put new springs on, but they make a false cause-effect relationship between the new springs and the death of their shocks. Aftermarket springs just aren't going to wear out a shock any quicker as long as the car isn't bottoming the shock out, and the bumpstops will ensure that doesn't happen.

I know we might be expecting much more life from the OE shocks, but my experience with most OE shocks on most cars is that they are junk when new and wear out quickly. There are exceptions, of course, but not on any $25k sedan that I know of.

·
Registered
293 Posts
"I put on Eibach springs at 1000 miles, and just swapped out my stock shocks at 40k. They were shot. Whats the life of stock shocks?"

I did the same at about 10000 miles, currently have 40000 and found the stock shocks OK for about 20000 miles. I need shocks now, but have no idea what the best shock is.........thinking of using Eibach shocks to keep everything matched

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Msquared wrote:

Using your stock shocks with aftermarket springs won't wear them out any faster.
That's so not true ,, the sport springs will make the car sit lowerand they will make the stock shocks work contracted all the time ...

I put Eibach pro springs and 10K ago and my stock shocks are pretty much shot....

Follow everybody's advice , replace the shocks and springs all together....

Fabio

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
That's so not true ,, the sport springs will make the car sit lowerand they will make the stock shocks work contracted all the time ...
I don't know what you mean by "contracted". Shocks work within a range of motion and work the same anywhere within that range. And a car that's lowered by 1"-2" is still within that range of motion. The fact that the car is lowered doesn't change the area that is swept by the damper's piston - it can and will still travel all the way to the suspension's limits in both rebound and compression - so nothing about the conditions for the dampers changes if the car is lowered.

I put Eibach pro springs and 10K ago and my stock shocks are pretty much shot....
Yes, as I said before most people change springs after some miles are already put on their cars and then the shocks happen to wear out as they would have even without the spring change. Then they blame the new springs for the dead shocks even though that had nothing to do with it.

Follow everybody's advice , replace the shocks and springs all together....
Yes, that was my advice, too, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
From what I have observed on this board (as I sais before I did both at once) people say that their shocks tend to get bouncy about 10k after they put new shocks. It seems to be pretty direct to me, and it makes sense. The stock shocks are made for the stock springs, and not for springs that are up to 2" lower.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.