Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got a 99 with stock 15 inch wheels. What size tires are available for those rims. The last tires I got, I just stuck with what came on it, 195 65 R15. What are my other options????

Jonathan

·
Registered
201 Posts
d.passat00 wrote
what about 215/50's? would those work?
This size would be 0.5" shorter than the stock 195's, giving an approx. 6% speedo error, at 60 MPH indicated you would actually be going 6% slower. I'm also not sure how easy this size would be to find, my guess is your choices would be few, even 215-60-15's are not too plentiful.

Cheers Frank :) :drink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the 215's versus the 195's with stock 15 inch rims??? Any difference in grip, handling, looks???

Jonathan

·
Registered
201 Posts
If your stock size is 195/65-15 then the 215/60 would be 0.2" taller yeilding a 0.07% speedo error, assuming your speedo is dead on accurate, when you're travelling at 60 mph indicated you would actually be going 60.4 mph. Speedo's tipically read approx. 1-2% high anyway, so as you can see the small difference in tire diameter should have no adverse affect.

HTH

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
denoudf said:
If your stock size is 195/65-15 then the 215/60 would be 0.2" taller yeilding a 0.07% speedo error, assuming your speedo is dead on accurate, when you're travelling at 60 mph indicated you would actually be going 60.4 mph. Speedo's tipically read approx. 1-2% high anyway, so as you can see the small difference in tire diameter should have no adverse affect.

HTH

sounds good! guess i'll be getting the avs 215/60-15.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
195's versus 215's

Are the 215's designed to fit my stock wheel and are just another option?? Or is this the kind of deal that, "it's not made for that wheel, but it will suffice". You know what I mean??? Also, if it's 1/2 inch taller, won't my already SUV suspension really look like Gravedigger??

Jonathan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bad. I misread that. .2 inches is a different story. I still need an answer on the original question though. Were they meant for that wheel, or they just happen to accidentally work??

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
jjasper13 said:
My bad. I misread that. .2 inches is a different story. I still need an answer on the original question though. Were they meant for that wheel, or they just happen to accidentally work??

Jonathan
Tires are tested for different sized wheels and 7" adelaides should fall into a range of compatible wheels, ranging from 6" to 7.5" for say a 195/205/215 tire.

Also, take a look at 205 width tires, they will work well too. Behind the fuel door, there should be your stock size listed as well as an option is size which is 205 something I believe. Also note that different brands of tire will have different rolling dimensions even though they are the same advertised size so one brand of tire could be 0.2" larger another could be 0.2" smaller - so when you figure out what you want, check the specs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
5 Participants
denoudf
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing