Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a stock radio, 98 model, that gives them problems when you adjust the volumn? It seems to get confused when I lower or raise the volumn.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Re: stock radio volumn is flaky (scoreboard)

Scoreboard, there's some weird "feature" in the earlier Head Units that allows them to adjust the volume as a function of rpms, ambients noise levels, or some such shit. Most people recognize it by the fact that the HU seems to turn itself down sometimes.

I believe there is a workaround. I think if you adjust the "on-volume" to MAX per your manual, the "feature" is disabled.

Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: stock radio volumn is flaky (Kenny Payne)

I have experienced the HU turning the volume down on me. I was wondering if it was some sort of volume limiter or something to prevent me from blowing the speakers. On the freeway with the windows down you need to have quite a bit of volume and after I turned it up, it would go down again. Very irritating.

I will try the MAX on volume technique tonight and report back to let you know if it works.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... my definition of flaky is when i turn the volumn down it will go up instead for a second. Sort of like it is getting confused about what direction I am spinning the volumn knob.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: stock radio volumn is flaky (scoreboard)

I went in for some service today and they said that it was the gears in the volumn knob have worn out. Same thing happened to one of the reps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts