Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im amazed by this bulb XD5 ,

The bulb is 100W but you can get the same 5800K color in 50W

I had this on my B5 with stock lights then i bought Hella HID look alike headlights ,
But the low beam is H1 on the HID look alike, but thank god the high beam is H7 so I'm ordering a new pair of H1 for the low beam.
And Im keeping the H7 set.

This is a picture of the OEM bulb on low and the XD5 on High.

No modification to the warness is required
the Krypton used with the Xenon keeps the bulb at safe temperatures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the XD5 H7 100W to replace my stock lights. I went for the 100w for the brighter lights. now, i'm thinking i should have went for the 55w version. Should i fear for the housing to melt or my harness's burning out? :shock: any such problems? thanks...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There are good Hoen Bulbs out there... I had them on my car for a while, but it melted my stock harness (had to get a new one) sop make sure you use a new harness... as with any upgraded bulb. If you put 50 Watt 5800 k lights as headlights, you won't see a thing, the 85 watt hoens are 5800k, and they are still a little more dim than the stock lights.

www.hoen-usa.com
Also, search for my old posts on hoens, I don't feel like looking right now...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Dallasfan said:
I just bought the XD5 H7 100W to replace my stock lights. I went for the 100w for the brighter lights. now, i'm thinking i should have went for the 55w version. Should i fear for the housing to melt or my harness's burning out? :shock: any such problems? thanks...
A local B5.5'er installed 100W bulbs in his housing, and melt his wirings. Do yourself a favor and either go back to 55W or save up and buy OEM Xenon headlights. It's not worth buying these bulbs and then having to buy new headlight housing as a result.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Dallasfan said:
I would be very careful about those 100w bulbs in your stock housings. The most likely thing that could happen is your wire harness will melt and that could be a pain. I haven't heard of anyone doing damage to their housing or lenses on the stock lights with that high wattage of a bulb but there is alway the chance, and I'm sure depends on how long your lights are on at a time. You might want to do some further research on your bulbs, there have been many a discussion about this exact topic in and around club :b5: , so do a search on bulbs, Hoens, Silverstar, etc... I think you may change your mind and your bulbs after looking at the information. :suspicio:

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
SeattleReign said:
I haven't heard of anyone doing damage to their housing or lenses on the stock lights with that high wattage of a bulb but there is alway the chance, and I'm sure depends on how long your lights are on at a time.
Darold2002 had to buy new headlights as a result of the 100W bulbs.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it changes bulb to bulb if you get a good quality bulb the effiency is better so the lights is brighter and the bulb does not get to hot.
I have being monitoring my wires everyday when i get home from work , the wiren dont even get warm. regarding the housing i think i will get a high temp termometer to check the temp with stock and 100W bulbs .
I will post the results.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just be carefull my man, if you go on a long drive and those suckers are on for an extended amount of time you could have some problems. If I remember correctly one of the other members started out saying the same things you did and then one day started to have melting issues. :nervous: I believe it was after he had them installed for at least a month if not more before he started to notice a problem. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
SeattleReign
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing