Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if its possible to put Vw OEM navigation in a B5.

If it is possible, what all do you need, how tough is it to hook up.

any in put would be great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My guess would be yes. anything is possible but the money factor and the amount of how much time you have, is also to consider. I like the oem b5 navigation look, but I might consider a aftermarket navi setup instead because oem navigation seems to get outdated faster than aftermarket. the options are limitless also. updated versions, Rear view camera, updated map views,more area covered on one disc,tv tuner, dvd player, more inputs and outputs for your audio/video/navi desires. IMHO

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like touareg setup that one guy had, I was wondering if anyone had some screen shots from driving.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Is there any difference between the b5 radio and the single din radio found in early B5.5s?
Because I belive naviD works in the single dins

·
Registered
406 Posts
While I believe that the OEM Navigation unit look best in a B5 the fact is all the MFD Navigation units made for that period are really showing their age. Software is clunky and limited compared to today's aftermarket units.

There is a seperate radio console bezel for the center console but if you're going to pay somewhere up to $900-$1100 for the nav unit alone what's another $100.

In my opinion, installing a OEM Navi would be more of a novelty than a functional operation

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any aftermarket Navi systems that look at home B5 dash. Even though it was nicely done I didn't like the modified Toureg one either.

Here's the thread on the Toureg Navi in the B5.5 dash http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186085

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sure you can install the OEM MFD Navi. I recently did this...

You need to decide whether you want the D or G version of the MFD. The D and G version MFDs talk to the steering wheel controls and full FIS cluster display differently. You choice will depend upon where your car 1) has steering controls, 2) full FIS cluster, 3) CAN-BUS or 3LB support for 1&2. You might also need a TMC box, if you decide to go with the G version.

Additionally, you'll need need the appropriate harness for connecting the MFD to the OEM radio harness (and a few other connection behind the cluster.) This choice depends upon whether you have a 1 DIN or 2 DIN OEM radio.

Of course, you'll also need a GPS antenna, and a set of map discs. Steve Z1 sells complete packages of all these items for reasonable prices. Search for him.

If you post answers to the following questions, I'm sure we can help you decide what you need:

0) Exactly have year, and model B5 do you have?

1) What OEM radio do you have?

2) What kind of connections are on the back of it?

3) Do you have steering wheel radio controls?

4) If so, do you have multifunction relay 451 or 452?

5) Do you have a full-FIS cluster?

6) If so, does it use CAN-BUS or 3LB? (Use VAG-COM to get it's part number.)

7) Am I missing anything...?

I was wondering if its possible to put Vw OEM navigation in a B5.

If it is possible, what all do you need, how tough is it to hook up.

any in put would be great.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is Can bus and 3lb, never heard of either. Also see that most have a Gps antenna, do you have to pay a fee. Like a said I have been reading, but didnt find that.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Lithiumfox

Next question I noticed that you have to splice in to a wire behind the dash board, is that for speed.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
There are 4 wires that need to be tapped, illumination, gala(speed sensor), switched 12v, and kline (i dont remember correctly and i dont think you have to connect this if you dont want to, but comes helpful to unlock certain features in vagcom). gala is tapped behind the cluster, if you read the installation at vwnavi.com they tell you to use a specific type of wire tap, the green color that can be purchased at radio shack.

·
Registered
244 Posts
All 4 of those lines can be tapped at the cluster's blue 32-pin connector. Optionally, you can also tap the reverse wire in the driver's kick panel. If you want, I'll dig out the pin numbers and colors...

There are 4 wires that need to be tapped, illumination, gala(speed sensor), switched 12v, and kline (i dont remember correctly and i dont think you have to connect this if you dont want to, but comes helpful to unlock certain features in vagcom). gala is tapped behind the cluster, if you read the installation at vwnavi.com they tell you to use a specific type of wire tap, the green color that can be purchased at radio shack.

·
Registered
244 Posts
CAN-bus is a car-wide serial communications line that alot of electronic components in the car use to communicate -- e.g., ECU, transmission, CCM, Radio, Airbags, etc.

Once upon a time, most functions on our B5's were carried by separate & different wires - e.g. 1 wire from steering wheel to radio for remote control, 3 wires (the 3LB) from radio to cluster for FIS display, 1 wire from transmission to rear lights for reverse signal, etc. Over time, VW has migrated most of these functions to a common pair of wires called the CAN-BUS. Because these 2 wires must now carry a whole whack of signals, all devices on the bus must use a specific communications protocol so they can share the bandwidth.

By looking at the 451/452 relay part number and cluster's part number, we can determine exactly which of your car's functions use CAN-BUS and which don't. Then, we can decide whether you should get the D or G Navi. The reason is, the D Navi uses the remote wire and 3LB (for steering controls and FIS), and the G Navi w/ TMC unit uses the CAN-BUS (for steering controls and FIS).

It is also possible to downgrade your steering controls from CAN to the older remote wire by changing the 451/452 relay, and some additional wiring.

The options are myriad... ;)

What is Can bus and 3lb, never heard of either. Also see that most have a Gps antenna, do you have to pay a fee. Like a said I have been reading, but didnt find that.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i had a wiring harness adapter, and i only had to tap into gala for my "D" to work.

fyi, i sold mine for well under $600 for the nav unit alone, so you can find a decent deal if you're patient.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On older singal-din cars, the illumination, s-cont, and k-lines were all handled by separate lines on the radio harness. However, double-din radios get this information from the can-bus... Perhaps that's why?

Of course, your Navi will still work without illumination, s-cont, and k. It just won't turn on/off with ignition, light up along with the cluster, or be visible by vag-com. So, yeah, I guess gala is the only utterly essential connection... ;)

i had a wiring harness adapter, and i only had to tap into gala for my "D" to work.

fyi, i sold mine for well under $600 for the nav unit alone, so you can find a decent deal if you're patient.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts